LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Lectron carb

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

Lectron carb

Postby Ballspeed65 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:28 pm

Has anyone ever tried one of these.
Iv'e only ever seen one before back in the eighties. Just wondered what they run like.
Ballspeed65

Re: Lectron carb

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:01 pm

If you browse about other sites that have anything to do with owner-riders of two strokes, then the general consensus appears to be that the Lectron is still a very desirable carburettor as some still love 'em.

The fact that the fundamental concept has been emulated/modified & is now available from another company (see: https://technologyelevated.com/smartcarb-vs-lectron/) gives some recognition of the main man responsible for carburettor advancement decades ago with the introduction of flat slide 'guillotine' types that also included the Magnum range.

Personally, I had faith in the concept many years ago in racing whilst all around me thought that the Amal concentric Mk II to be the pinnacle of two stroke carburettors.

However, nowadays it is virtually mandatory for the best tuned two stroke engines to have the kind of slide arrangement that Lectron & Magnum pioneered. Dell'Orto, Keihin & Mikuni had to take these USA carburettors seriously & change their own range.

The long & the short of it is that if you can acquire the Lectron @ an advantageous price, go for it, as long as you feel capable to learn about the characteristics. These days with t'internet, it is easy to glean good information to achieve good set-ups.

If that is not for 'you' then a far less ambitious choice would be a Keihin two stroke specific carburettor. After all, they are OEM equipment on major manufacturer two stroke engines.

If you really want to box clever, spend little & have a carburettor of Keihin design produced under license, then the PWK's are a superb product.

I have set up three varying configuration engines with them & the manner in which the settings were achieved was intuitional, easy & an absolute delight as they are so air filter friendly. That said, I still have a 34 mm Magnum 'waiting in the wings' because 'back in the day' I struggled to acquire pilot jets & had to resort to reducing the orifice by soldering! Who knew then that they used Mikuni pilots? :oops:

I hope my own, admittedly opinionated, response helps you with your decision ;)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:19 pm

In addition to the above, I've had no opportunity to view the video on this link, but aim to do so when I can get on to my PC, currently in use for the latest women's sport to be recognised for the Olympics. Shopping.......

https://mail.enduro21.com/index.php/ext ... -smartcarb
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Ballspeed65 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:14 am

Thanks for interesting reply WT. It seems there are many carb options out there that you don't see used on lambrettas. Another one I have seen on tinternet is the PSI genesis big carb. http://www.psicarbs.com/mxAtv/home.php This seems similar to the smart carb and Lectron in as much that there are no jets as such. All adjustment is via multi position click switches/dials. Allegedly making setting up very simple
Ballspeed65

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:16 pm

Thanks for the link as I was not aware of PSI Genesis.

Interesting site with adjustable CR heads for snowmobiles so that appears to be where the carburettor manufacture may have evolved from, with the two sizes available for 'crossers etc.

If nothing else, the choice available for carburation is large, though it is significant to my mind that the higher performance end of the market all use flatter slides as the guillotine with their two stroke offerings. According to well respected two stroke tuners, round slides cause detrimental turbulence.

However, the carburettors under discussion here all have common features in that the main tuning is achieved with only a range of tapered needles that are flat on one side. Their position within the slide is adjusted up or down externally "a click @ a time" so they are extremely simple & quick to adjust. The only jets are likely to be to control the pilot/idle circuitry & I can confess that any issues I experienced was simply due to lack of knowledge in the 80's.

The other characteristic that can wrong foot you, but is indicative of the efficiency of the principle, is that the choke is a richening device for starting as we are all familiar with. With these carburettors that can mean literally that! Even a hot engine may need the choke on to start it, not that it is a problem once the mindset can cope.

Personally, I bought into the principle of no jet carburettors years ago, though currently I am not using what I did buy. Let's say that the "project is in mothballs" ;)

To a great extent, the closest 'conventional' carburettor that usually requires no slide change, only requires a very small range of needles, though does have main & pilot jets is the PWK. The fact that they are very user friendly, work brilliantly with adequate filtration as they have inbuilt anti-flood & are cheap as chips is good enough for me...... :lol:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Ballspeed65 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:27 pm

You have obviously done a lot more research than me on the subject and have a much greater knowledge on the subject.
Cheap as chips is obviously a big factor in choosing a carb. I did see the price of the Genesis carb some time ago and it run into hundreds. It does look good in the gold though! Think I'll stick with the cheaper brands.
Ballspeed65

Return to Carburettors