LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Petrol additives.

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Petrol additives.

Postby Pip110 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi guys. What’s your views on Millers as an additive. ?
Pip110

Re: Petrol additives.

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:32 am

Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Pip110 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:08 pm

Thanks Rich, much appreciated.
Pip110

Postby lam1962brettagg » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:50 pm

thanks for the link Rich, good read, useful info.
I'm presuming E10 will even affect viton seals.
just used first tank of super unleaded E5, had to alter low idle speed but seemed to run ok.
cheers

PS, I have been advised now by various good sources if fitted with viton seals E10 should be ok.
when I used super E5 I did have to lean of slightly Not as stated b4 richen.
Last edited by lam1962brettagg on Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lam1962brettagg

Postby Norrie Bodge » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:29 pm

lam1962brettagg wrote:thanks for the link Rich, good read, useful info.
I'm presuming E10 will even affect viton seals.
just used first tank of super unleaded E5, had to alter low idle speed but seemed to run ok.
cheers

Was it leaner or richer at idol ?
I used BP-97 & had too lean the air screw mixture
on my Mikuni 30mm goin to Derby150 rally was fine using E5 unleaded
Norrie Bodge

Postby lam1962brettagg » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:42 pm

a tad too rich I think, not been out since but will wind out half turn and see how that goes.
I need to check plug colour too.
lam1962brettagg

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:50 pm

I suppose we'll all have our favourites soon, just like the two stroke oil we use :roll:

Purely out of convenience, I looked a tiny bit deeper into the stuff that Toolstation sell. The stores are usually handy for many of us, products seem to be good & they seem to just get on with the job without too much razzamatazz. So they may not be 'bling' enough for many on this Forum :D

This is the American product they sell:

https://b3cfuel.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... .23.21.pdf

I can't recommend it, or any other similar product, but I need something to ensure petrol doesn't deteriorate in storage, whatever it's intended use may be. It seems to work out cheaper than other products but my delving into the subject has not been extensive.

Whilst I was browsing the USA site, I spotted this:

https://b3cfuel.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... .15.21.pdf

Apparently it is available in the UK, so it may be of interest to those that only buy petrol for their scooters, rather than for a variety of engines, as I do. Does anybody remember the old TV ad?

"Take two bottles into the ------?"
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby nickw » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:48 pm

lam1962brettagg wrote:I'm presuming E10 will even affect viton seals.

Apparently not. I have been told viton seals are the way to go
nickw

Postby burnside » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:21 pm

Wondering how long it will be for 2T oil to have ethanol protection included into their formula?
burnside

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:45 pm

Perhaps they will call it "Snake oil"? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fast n Furious

Postby Bilko » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:47 am

I don't know where I sit with this. There's been a number of times I've put E10 in my tank in France, and the temperatures EGT & CHT didn't budge, well, once coming out of Verdun, but it wasn't much.

We don't get the E10 here in Northern Ireland until Jan 22.

Facebook is awash with people talking about their mate's TS1's and wot nots blowing up after filling up with E10! but how many times in the past has a holed piston been blamed on "dodgy fuel" without actually knowing what caused it?

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, I'm far from it, but I'm trying to look at all this with both feet flat on the floor without running round in circles, crying "we're all doomed". Am I being too apathetic?
Bilko

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:28 pm

I've got one on the bench at the moment with a wacking great hole in the piston. Unfortunately, the molten ally got wedged between the piston and bore and wrecked the plating.
This is a scoot that I've looked after for the owner for a few years now and he always ran it on premium petrol. The irony here is that it is fitted with a working EGT system but he didn't monitor it. How may of us have done that? :(
Now that premium has 5% Ethanol....... maybe this has had an affect? There is a very fine line between "working perfectly" and "blowing up".
Plug chops and a rejet will no doubt prove prudent and necessary?
I suppose if this forum reports an increase in these incidents over the next 12 months then shitty fuel quality may prove to be a contributing factor.
Fast n Furious

Postby MickYork » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:25 am

I'm under the impression that Ethanol burns at a lower temperature than the usual fuels. Would this mean it's less likely to cause heat seizures and other problems caused by excessive heat
MickYork

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:49 pm

The addition of alcohol to the petrol reduces the stoiciometric ratio, which means a leaner burn unless rejetted to suit.
Fast n Furious

Postby coaster » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:54 pm

I seldom used premium in the past but this was its ailable on a recent extensive ride up and around Zcotland slender up using severaltanmsfullofE10 and canhonestlysat there was NO discernable difference in egt or cht o my 60mph 110 mile thrash down the A1M today
coaster

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:04 am

coaster wrote:I seldom used premium in the past but this was its ailable on a recent extensive ride up and around Zcotland slender up using severaltanmsfullofE10 and canhonestlysat there was NO discernable difference in egt or cht o my 60mph 110 mile thrash down the A1M today

Just to add to what Colin said, I did 1250 miles across northern England, up and down the Cairngorms, the Applecross pass and up to Ullapool. I put in whatever was at the pump I landed at, in most cases E10. I noticed no difference in performance.

Whilst I have used a fuel additive for a few years, I didn’t use it on this trip.

Far from scientific though :)

The hydroscopic effect does concern me. I do try and run my Lambrettas all year but, if I don’t this year, I’ll take the carb off and clean it properly as soon as I stop using it. The tank, I am not so sure. Filling it up will, I assume just attract more water so it may be best to leave a low level if your tank is internally coated??

As regards seals, I invariably end up rebuilding engines every few years so maybe the seals will last that long??
Storkfoot

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3