LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Brazilian love affair

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

Brazilian love affair

Postby Nobby » Fri May 08, 2015 3:59 pm

Nobby

Re: Brazilian love affair

Postby Nudger » Fri May 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Wow - I haven't seen this scooter for absolutely years!
Tell us the story & what plans you've got for her...can't wait to see her on the road again....
Nudger

Postby Nobby » Fri May 08, 2015 6:23 pm

My story starts of today when I picked her up like this^
I think she had gone thru Afew people's hands like this without being touched?

A couple of days ago I got in touch with the original owner/ builder about the history and this is what sent me-

Hi

Really pleased to see the scoot after all these years.... a number of my mates sent me a link to the auction but living in the US now was going to be too much of a stretch to get it over and even get it back on the road..... anyway it needs to be in the UK and at rallies.

So I bought it when it was about 18 months old from another guy in Goole as an orange GP which he had bought from AF Rayspeed (I think). It was one of those that had like a dark stains/runs in the original paint. Picked it up on a Friday night for 200 pounds and rode to Morcambe national on the Saturday morning 2-up with a rear shock that was knacked.

So one of my mates bad a blue and silver vreeble GP "Scooter Mania II" and that was part of the inspiration for wanting to do something custom. So the ideas came from a variety of different sources. The name from the George Duke Album, which you already figured out. The style of the lettering came from an 80's sould band called Imagination and the album was called "Body Talk".... if you look up the cover you will see the style and colour. Didn't like the band but loved the font used. The picture idea was just a random thought that I gave to Maca at DTC, I gave him the general idea what I wanted and left it to him. At the time my girlfriend had long blonde hair and some thought it was meant to be her.... this was not the case. So with the Brazilian blonde theme the yellow vreeble was the way to go. Maca and I discussed the shapes and the fogging and the brown's best complimented the yellow. For the carb hole I didn't want a big hole so we decided on several smaller ones, just to be different. Total cost of paintwork 200 pounds..... same cost as the bike.

The engine had stage 4 tune, fresco exhaust and big carb fitted.... nothing too exotic. I couldn't afford all the chrome work at one go so at first most of the internals were factory finish except anything that was going to be a difficult swap out (ie) front folks. See picture bla.jpg. This was first run out for Skegness rally in 1982, Scooter Mania II is in background plus other GP's from my club B52's. If I remember the panels weren't finished so I took it without them.

Think its first rally as a finished scooter was Scarborough, can remember pulling up and virtually getting mobbed with people trying to take pictures. It was very reliable, rode it to IOW, Weston and all the major rally's for a couple of seasons. I didn't really enter it into any shows, was not into that apart from Doncaster Custom Car Show which it took Best Paintwork. I sold in about 85/86 to a lad from Notts Brittania, think he was called Lowey and part of the early VFM setup. Sold it as I had just seen Excile and that as for many had a big influence. Not 100% sure but I think it went for about 700-800 pounds and was in perfect condition. Hope this helps ?

I attached a few pictures.... let me know if you need more info.

Cheers
John
PS left hand panel once came off on way back from Leeds, landed face down on the road.... was very lucky only minor scratches which Dave.... ex DTC and Maca's early partner was able to sort.

Last edited by Nobby on Fri May 08, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobby

Postby Storkfoot » Fri May 08, 2015 7:06 pm

Great story. Paint job to die for. Thanks for sharing.
Storkfoot

Postby lozmondo » Fri May 08, 2015 7:16 pm

love it :D
be great to see it on the road again.
Scootermania 2 was Foxys..does he still post on here?
lozmondo

Postby Nobby » Fri May 08, 2015 8:27 pm

Ta! :D

Im going to leave paint as it is and not get it redone but just stop it getting worse- I think it makes it even more interesting! and I want it to be MY version.
The plan is to have new chrome forks/hubs/rims / tanks etc as per original bla But a gold metalflake snett this time with 400x10 tyres and front inboard disc.
The engine (that iv already got in bits) is going to be Indian 200 and old school... with a 1985 broady tuned (no 32) St 6 225 topend (iv had it retweaked to bring it slightly up to date again by mark broadhurst ) asso piston, 34mm mk2 Amal power jet and a fresco (of course!)

Nobby

Postby Toddy » Fri May 08, 2015 10:11 pm

Good to see the scooter has gone to a good home I rode with John in the 80's (B52's sc) from Goole along with foxy and a few more lads it was a stunning scooter then and doesn't look to bad now good luck with it mate :D
Toddy

Postby Nobby » Sat May 09, 2015 10:16 am

Nice one toddy, I knew there would be people on here with connections to her back in the day, hope to do her and johns original idea justice ...
Nobby

Postby duncan1958 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:06 am

I cant help but wonder why or how this scooter came to be dismantled/broken up ?
Would be great to be able to not only piece it back together but to find out more of how it came to be in this condition.
Yet another interesting build up to look forward to :)
duncan1958

Postby gaz_powell » Sun May 10, 2015 9:45 am

saw it on ebay - was sold by someone near me - you should have popped to Hartlepool for a pint !

looking forward to seeing what you do with it .....I know it will be well done
Last edited by gaz_powell on Sun May 10, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz_powell

Postby Nudger » Sun May 10, 2015 6:26 pm

Thanks for the update Nobby - can't wait to see her on the road again.
Nudger

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sat May 16, 2015 7:22 pm

Nobby, I had no idea that you had picked this up... nice one! :)

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby Nobby » Sat May 16, 2015 11:45 pm

Adam_Winstone wrote:Nobby, I had no idea that you had picked this up... nice one! :)

Adam

Yep! The 80s old Skool custom I was telling you I was planning... Well this popped up!! So it kind of cuts a corner!... DTC early paint job with patina! :o
Nobby

Postby Toddy » Tue May 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Nobby found a couple of old pics

Toddy

Postby Nobby » Tue May 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Toddy wrote:Nobby found a couple of old pics

Superb mate!!!!, love it!, nothing beats abit of proper old skool history!! Thanks!! :) :) :)
Last edited by Nobby on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobby

Postby Toddy » Tue May 19, 2015 9:36 pm

No worries mate , I'll see if I have anymore, they were taken on the way to exmouth 86 ish I think :(
Toddy

Postby Scarborough Col » Tue May 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Toddy wrote:Nobby found a couple of old pics

Cool Scooter, I love customs from back in the day...

Stadium Achillies , a proper early 80`s scooter boy helmet, I bought my first one for £39.99 from White Bros in Darlington,
I then moved on to an Alien Driver helmet...
Scarborough Col

Postby Garbo » Wed May 20, 2015 8:36 am

I've still got my Stadium Achilles (red), with a spare brand new Bob Heath visor and spare mouth piece. You're right, it's a proper 80's scooter boy helmet............. the finishing touch when on a metalflake GP!!!

I bought mine from White Bros. Darlington too.
Garbo

Postby Nobby » Wed May 20, 2015 9:52 am

Huuummm... I'm a sucker for vintage helmets!......hiuummmm
Nobby

Postby LateAgain » Wed May 20, 2015 11:14 pm

^^^^^ What?

BLA looking ACE.
LateAgain

Next

Return to Show Your Ride