LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

New project - winter model

LAMBRETTA ONLY PLEASE
Show your Lambretta off to us all with pictures of your pride and joy.

New project - winter model

Postby dickie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Just received this from Spain this morning.

According to the frame number I think it's a Winter model, but I'll wait until I've got confirmation before looking for a headset.

Only cost me £800 delivered, but as is usually the case, it's worse in reality than it looks in the pictures.

I'd have liked to do a rustoration, but the only original paint is on the side panels and they're splattered with Dulux red on top of the original blue. Full resto it is then............

Plan is to keep it original looking with TS1 motor, clubman, good suspension and decent brakes.

Last edited by dickie on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dickie

Re: New project

Postby shane BBoys » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:50 pm

Nice project, what makes you think its a Winter Model when it has what appears to be the original headset already attached to the bike??
Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby dickie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:41 pm

The frame number is too high for a regular s2. To be honest I'm not sure i prefer the look of the winter model but i need it to be correct.
dickie

Postby shane BBoys » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Yeah I understand that I love the Winter Model. It will be my next project and I am also going to try do more rather than farm it out, i'll have to do some more jobs for Buzz to get a good deal on one. :D
Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby shane BBoys » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Yeah I understand that I love the Winter Model. It will be my next project and I am also going to try do more rather than farm it out, i'll have to do some more jobs for Buzz to get a good deal on one. :D
Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby Wack » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:35 pm

Here's what can be acheived. Image Image Image
Wack

Postby dickie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Lovely job that is.

It's broadly what I'm going for except I'll be trying to keep the paintwork more 'period' but I'm not particularly going to keep to lambretta paint codes. But I might....

I've given myself 3 years to complete it so I'll change my mind a few times yet.
dickie

Postby Donnie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:09 pm

you could also achieve this (which is why im wondering why you think a rustorations not doable with what you have)

Donnie

Postby dickie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:54 pm

Sorry Donnie. I used the wrong terminology. What I really meant was that I'd like to do an original paint preservation.

Restorations as such aren't really my cup of tea. I can appreciate them but my ocd wouldn't permit me to leave one alone. To be honest as much as I like preservations I don't think I'd be able to leave well alone on one of them either.
dickie

Postby modster79 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Donnie wrote:you could also achieve this (which is why im wondering why you think a rustorations not doable with what you have)

Now that's a toolbox
modster79

Postby dscpaul664 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:33 pm

nice :D
dscpaul664

Re: New project - winter model

Postby dickie » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:49 am

Started stripping it down last night. The chassis has obviously been stripped and slung back together quite recently as all the fasteners are easy to remove.

The motor however has not. The top end is a real mess and will be removed using the magic of slitting discs and cold chisels.

This what I found in the tank. I guess it was an attempt at sealing it. I suspect the tank is scrap, but I'll blast it first before I decide.

The gearbox doesn't seem too bad. I can select every gear and the clutch engages and disengages. The top end is a real mess though. None of this really matters though as I'll be fitting new crank, new top end and completely rebuilding the gearbox etc.

Urgh.

Probably best to go for electronic ignition anyway
dickie

Postby 911hillclimber » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:16 am

Wow!
You can't get enough of these Lambrettas can you! :mrgreen:

It is hard keeping to standard so to replace with modern and better is a good idea and must be so much easier.
Good luck with the work, you will be done before 3 years though I bet. ;)
911hillclimber

Postby coaster » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:03 am

Nice project which I will be following closely as I'm intending that my next one will be a Winter model too. The condition of yours is about what I will be looking for as I have absolutely NO intention of going down the rustoration route ;)

Colin
coaster

Postby dickie » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Started work in earnest on stripping the motor down. This is not going to be easy.

I had to resort to rather 'traditional' techniques to remove the barrel and piston
ImageDSC_0061_zpsyxdbr0pj by richardhenderson1968

I don't think I'm going to be able to re-use this barrel.

ImageDSC_0062_zpsh0rsuyjz by richardhenderson1968

The biggest challenge is going to be removing the mag housing. It's seized solid. I've removed the front sprocket and tried hitting the crank with a club hammer, but it won't budge. If anyone has any experience of removing one in this sort of condition, I'd love some advice. I can of course sacrifice the mag housing as they're not that expensive, but I'd like to save as much as possible of the original motor.

Last edited by dickie on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dickie

Postby coaster » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:42 pm

That crank looks like it had seized to the crank case :( I would try soaking the casing in a bucket of diesel for a few days and try again.

Colin
coaster

Postby Toddy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:49 pm

That engine strip is the same brutal methods I used on mine had to cut cylinder off with angle grinder mine was an imported winter model as well :lol:
Toddy

Postby dickie » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm knackered. I've just managed to get the mag housing off.

I had to heat the casing as much as i could with an electric heat gun. Then I used half a can of freeze spray on the inside of the mag housing. Then I smashed seven colours of sh1t out of the crank to knock it against the mag housing.

Took about 5 days but fortunately I have very tolerant neighbours.
ImageDSC_0062_zpsh0rsuyjz by richardhenderson1968, on Flickr

I reckon my crank is going to the same place as my barrel. :)
Last edited by dickie on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dickie

Postby Eden » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:20 am

I started stripping an engine last night that has a very rusted on siezed barrel. I hope I don't have to resort to cutting it off. :cry:
Eden

Postby Stevepshipley » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:13 am

Wouldnt dream of telling you guys how to suck eggs. I bought a spanish 200 engine the other year to play around with and learn from that had a badly siezed/rusted top end. Up ended the whole thing in a bucket of diesel for 2 weeks (im not usually that patient) and manged to free it and salvage the barrell.
Stevepshipley

Next

Return to Show Your Ride