LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Watsonian sidecar

Need specific detail for a particular model, or just found something strange and interesting and want to know if its original. All attention to detail seekers report here!
Strict no chatter

Watsonian sidecar

Postby roem » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:57 am

Hi, I have an original Watsonian side car with Lambretta fitting. Does anyone know what the thread type and size is for the bolts which screw in to the top cap of the sidecar chassis fitting that sits on the top of the Lambretta frame tube? It's about 10mm but I'm guessing it will be an Imperial size. Unfortunately, I've fitted the top cap and the leg shields on top and now realise I don't have the bolts to connect the rest of the sidecar fitting to it! :( I'd prefer not to dismantle all the leg shields to get the top cap fitting out and have it measured for thread size so if anyone knows what it is that would be great!

Thanks
roem

Re: Watsonian sidecar

Postby Digger » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:11 am

Why don't you ask these guys? http://www.ansonclassic.co.uk/

I've an original Bambini but it's not on the original chassis.
Digger

Postby Tractorman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:54 pm

the clamp bolts are 1 1/8" x 7/16" they are shouldered so you can get a socket on so you could try capscrews instead of hex bolts.
Tractorman

Postby roem » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks to both Digger and Tractorman. Sorry for late reply, I've been away for a few days and had no connection.

I tried Anson and they were very helpful but said it could be several different bolt sizes depending upon when my chassis was made. Tractorman, do you know which 7/16 thread was used, apparently it could be either BSF, UNF or Whitworth?

Thanks again for your help both of you.

Cheers Mark
roem

Postby Tractorman » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:15 am

My clamp is from ansons and is metric but if yours is a Watsonian clamp it wont be. Take the top half to a nut and bolt supplier they will quick identify it and supply the capscrews.
Tractorman

Postby roem » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:44 am

Hi, yes that's what I had to do but was trying to avoid removing the legshields which I'd stupidly put on with top clamp in place before thinking about what bolts I needed. for the record the threads are 7/16 BSF

Thanks to everyone for their help.
roem

Postby trout1875 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:02 pm

After a sidecar chassis for series 3 but no batty prices recently lost use of my legs so what you got ?
trout1875

Return to Anorak's Corner