LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Fuel tank tap

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Fuel tank tap

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:24 am

A jars worth of old nuts and bolts into the tank.
Wrap it all in an old duvet and tie it up with bungee cord.
Send the wife out shopping.
Place your wrapped tank into the tumble dryer for half an hour.
empty out.
worth considering a dose of POR 15 sealant if the rust was bad.
Job done.
Fast n Furious

Postby HxPaul » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:33 am

I use the W.T No.1 method.Put a handfull of nuts and bolts in the tank along with a gallon of petrol,shake vigorously and pour the petrol through a piece of cheese cloth into a clean container.Do this until the petrol runs clear.
HxPaul

Postby kclewis » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:33 pm

That looks a great way of doing it, probably much better than my recent tank clean with nuts etc and a lot of shaking! Nice article.
kclewis

Postby roli150lam » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Steel fuel tank a handful of steel nuts bolts washers+petrol.shake vigorously,add a stray spark.boom.
roli150lam

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:45 pm

HxPaul wrote:I use the W.T No.1 method.Put a handfull of nuts and bolts in the tank along with a gallon of petrol,shake vigorously and pour the petrol through a piece of cheese cloth into a clean container.Do this until the petrol runs clear.

Thanks for that :D

However, despite some mixed reviews about the Scootopia fast flow tap, I bought one.

Being me(!) I dismantled it to check out if I could see any issues with it, but consider it well made as well as neat & compact.

It's now fitted (with a modified tube to give greater reserve) & works just as it should with that added benefit of a positive feel to 'On' which is worth having when you run out of fuel on a Sunday evening with the only prospect of fuel being available via a two mile push.... :roll:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby gaz_powell » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:
HxPaul wrote:I use the W.T No.1 method.Put a handfull of nuts and bolts in the tank along with a gallon of petrol,shake vigorously and pour the petrol through a piece of cheese cloth into a clean container.Do this until the petrol runs clear.

However, despite some mixed reviews about the Scootopia fast flow tap, I bought one.

Being me(!) I dismantled it to check out if I could see any issues with it, but consider it well made as well as neat & compact.

It's now fitted (with a modified tube to give greater reserve) & works just as it should with that added benefit of a positive feel to 'On' which is worth having when you run out of fuel on a Sunday evening with the only prospect of fuel being available via a two mile push.... :roll:

What pipe/tube did you use to extend the reserve, just bought a tap and want to do the same, had a quick look and it's different to the vespa and lambretta ones I have.
gaz_powell

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:04 am

gaz_powell wrote:
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:

What pipe/tube did you use to extend the reserve, just bought a tap and want to do the same, had a quick look and it's different to the vespa and lambretta ones I have.

I always go for whatever fits the counter bored hole that has the thinnest material section, which might be stating the obvious, I realise.... :roll:

So, besides alloy tubing bought from Model Shops, I hoard any broken, telescopic radio antenna because that can often be used.

I hope that helps, but if you tell me the precise size of tube you need, if I've got any, I'll pop some in the post.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3