LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Third hand tool

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Third hand tool

Postby Cortez the killer » Wed May 16, 2018 11:26 am

Third hand tool for setting up cables...any good ??
Always found setting cables up a bit fiddly (particularly on my Mrs primavera, but that's another story) so anything that helps would be good.
Cortez the killer

Re: Third hand tool

Postby bike grim » Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm

On a Primavera, yes useful. Not really necessary on Lambretta in my view.
bike grim

Postby Solid Air » Wed May 16, 2018 1:19 pm

I've found it to be a really handy tool for the clutch cable, worth getting.

Mark
Solid Air

Postby coaster » Wed May 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Solid Air wrote:I've found it to be a really handy tool for the clutch cable, worth getting.

Mark

That's the one I usually struggle with, who sells those tools?
coaster

Postby Cortez the killer » Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Allstyles do them for around £13, seen better quality ones on Google for about £23..in a related topic, I`m amazed that no one has re-designed the whole trunnion system as even with good access they`re still a pain in the arse to get two spanners in to tighten, there must be a better way ??
Cortez the killer

Postby HxPaul » Wed May 16, 2018 3:18 pm

If its a cable puller,they seem a bit pointless to me.
HxPaul

Postby coaster » Wed May 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Cortez the killer wrote:Allstyles do them for around £13, seen better quality ones on Google for about £23..in a related topic, I`m amazed that no one has re-designed the whole trunnion system as even with good access they`re still a pain in the arse to get two spanners in to tighten, there must be a better way ??

Thanks for that, I'll take a look. Jaimie (Superiebar) form Barcelona does a brass version with a 13mm square head on the barrel which is very easy to hold with an open ended spanner whilst you tighten the allen key.
coaster

Postby bike grim » Wed May 16, 2018 5:02 pm

coaster wrote:
Cortez the killer wrote:Allstyles do them for around £13, seen better quality ones on Google for about £23..in a related topic, I`m amazed that no one has re-designed the whole trunnion system as even with good access they`re still a pain in the arse to get two spanners in to tighten, there must be a better way ??

Thanks for that, I'll take a look. Jaimie (Superiebar) form Barcelona does a brass version with a 13mm square head on the barrel which is very easy to hold with an open ended spanner whilst you tighten the allen key.

+1 the “Straight Jacket” (that Jaime has named it) is a very good idea and I have them on 2 of mine.
bike grim

Postby dickie » Wed May 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Cortez the killer wrote: I`m amazed that no one has re-designed the whole trunnion system as even with good access they`re still a pain in the arse to get two spanners in to tighten, there must be a better way ??

They have.....geordie dickie engineering services sell a short 10mm and 11mm open-ended spanner for only £20 plus postage. It's an absolute bargain. ;)
dickie

Postby Solid Air » Wed May 16, 2018 6:17 pm

coaster wrote:
Solid Air wrote:I've found it to be a really handy tool for the clutch cable, worth getting.

Mark

That's the one I usually struggle with, who sells those tools?

Had mine sometime, really helps in taking up the clutch cable tension and holding there. eBay have loads, this one is very similar to mine...

Solid Air

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3