LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

petreol tap clearance around carb.

Want to know which carb to choose? Having problems setting up the jetting details on your scooter? Wheter you are using a standard or tuned carb, ask your question here.

petreol tap clearance around carb.

Postby martyn dwane » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi ,
i have fitted a 28MMPhbh carb to a friends Li150 .Its the rubber mount type and for the life of me i cant get the petrol rod to line up with the tank,it`s like the carb is in the way, if i run it at the back of the carb its about an inch out ,if i run it round the front its still way out. Tried moving the tank over a bit but still no joy. Fitted quite a few PHBH over the years but never had this problem. any suggestions ?
martyn dwane

Re: petreol tap clearance around carb.

Postby rossclark » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Loosen off the tap and rotate it toward the frame?
rossclark

Postby martyn dwane » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:07 pm

delly.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martyn dwane

Postby martyn dwane » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:07 pm

i`ll give it a go tonight, cheers
martyn dwane

Postby St George » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:39 pm

I had to put mine round the back which made the shaft too long. I cut it down, ground it flat and drilled it for the split pin. Job done. If it don't work I'll buy the carb off you LOL :lol:
St George

Postby dickie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 pm

if you get stuck, these work quite well. It lets you turn the tap more, but adds a small degree of slop into the mechanism.

https://www.lambrettaspares.com/spares/stainless-steel-products/lambretta-petrol-(fuel)-tap-lever-adjuster-sleeve-stainless-steel-mb/mrb0838.html
dickie

Postby rossclark » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:18 pm

rossclark

Postby martyn dwane » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:29 pm

i tried turning the tap inwards towards the frame tonight, i can get the tap and rod to join up but when i try to turn the petrol on it pushes the carb " downwards" . so im gonna try a longer rubber manifold , some on the bay , but look like "radiator" hose, anybody ever used this ? .
I dont think the two items suggested will give me any more clearance .
martyn dwane

Postby steve t » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Make sure hose is fuel and oil resistant or it won't last 5 mins might be worthwhile finding a local hose stockist there is some sh@te on the bay there is a bloke local to me a got a foot of proper oil resistant hose for £4 bargain
steve t

Postby roli150lam » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:14 am

Rotate the tank slightly,so tap moves towards front of scooter and if neccessary rotate tap more towards frame.
A longer carb rubber could cause the air hose(if ur using one) to squash against the side panel
roli150lam

Postby martyn dwane » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:53 am

Ive tried roating the tank forewards, any more and the petrol pipe will be squashed.
Thelonger rubber has turned up so will try that,
Thanks for all who advised.
martyn dwane

Postby northernpete » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:36 am

martyn dwane wrote:i tried turning the tap inwards towards the frame tonight, i can get the tap and rod to join up but when i try to turn the petrol on it pushes the carb " downwards" . so im gonna try a longer rubber manifold , some on the bay , but look like "radiator" hose, anybody ever used this ? .
I dont think the two items suggested will give me any more clearance .

Yes......it's good stuff :D
northernpete

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:39 pm

rossclark wrote:Something like this might help

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/90014/? ... gI4_PD_BwE

Has anyone tried one of these from a model shop? If so, was it successful?
Storkfoot

Postby Leotech » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:15 pm

Sometimes you need to weld a bit extra onto the tap part to get the lever part far enough away from the carb round the back. You need to cut a bit off the lever part too sometimes and file a new end on it and drill it etc to suit, then just angle it in the tank to miss everything.

I had to do one recently where a mate was using a big Mikuni carb, whoever built the Lamby before it ended up with me had put the fuel rod round the front and what a total arse it was to take off the carb to swap the jets etc when I was setting it up.
Leotech

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:48 pm

Leotech wrote:Sometimes you need to weld a bit extra onto the tap part to get the lever part far enough away from the carb round the back. You need to cut a bit off the lever part too sometimes and file a new end on it and drill it etc to suit, then just angle it in the tank to miss everything.

I had to do one recently where a mate was using a big Mikuni carb, whoever built the Lamby before it ended up with me had put the fuel rod round the front and what a total arse it was to take off the carb to swap the jets etc when I was setting it up.

Thanks for that. Food for thought. It’s not far out and I am sure some folk would just live with it but the lever is vibrating against the back of the carb and the tap mechanism is so notchy it makes me nervous that at some petrol station far far away, it’ll break.
Storkfoot

Postby Cgt75b » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:45 am

Storkfoot wrote:

Hi Paul

I tried one from a recognised dealer and tbh it fell to pieces. So I bought a piece of brass off eBay which is soft enough to drill = job done.
Cgt75b

Postby hullygully » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:52 am

Storkfoot wrote:
Leotech wrote:Sometimes you need to weld a bit extra onto the tap part to get the lever part far enough away from the carb round the back. You need to cut a bit off the lever part too sometimes and file a new end on it and drill it etc to suit, then just angle it in the tank to miss everything.

Thanks for that. Food for thought. It’s not far out and I am sure some folk would just live with it but the lever is vibrating against the back of the carb and the tap mechanism is so notchy it makes me nervous that at some petrol station far far away, it’ll break.

get 50mm long rubber tube, split it down its length, then wrap it round the the part of the lever touching the carb & tie wrap it in place
hullygully

Postby Rich Oswald » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Cgt75b wrote:
Storkfoot wrote:

Hi Paul

I tried one from a recognised dealer and tbh it fell to pieces. So I bought a piece of brass off eBay which is soft enough to drill = job done.

I have used these successfully for quite some time now. Just remember to locktite the grub screw in really tight, I learn't the hard way. As said a well known dealer sells these.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. Plenty of food for thought.

I am going to start off by trying one of these:

https://www.andyfrancisscooters.co.uk/f ... 2452-p.asp

If it doesn’t quite work, I’ll probably get an extension welded on the lever too.
Storkfoot

Postby Rich Oswald » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:16 am

Storkfoot wrote:Thanks for the replies. Plenty of food for thought.

I am going to start off by trying one of these:

https://www.andyfrancisscooters.co.uk/f ... 2452-p.asp

If it doesn’t quite work, I’ll probably get an extension welded on the lever too.

Those are the ones I use Paul.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Next

Return to Carburettors