LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Gears advice.

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Gears advice.

Postby Danbretta » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:30 am

Hi,
I'm after a bit of advice, I've just taken the side case of my engine to adjust the chain. After a quick fiddle and poke about I've seen there's play in the gear. Now I don't know if there's too much play or whether there shouldn't be any at all. This scooter was imported as a runner and left in my garage for over a year while I found the time to repair body damage. I was hoping to catch the last of the decent weather on it but do you think an engine strip down is needed?
Danbretta

Re: Gears advice.

Postby Danbretta » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 am

I'm trying to upload a video of the gear movement...
Danbretta

Postby Danbretta » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:34 am

Danbretta

Postby daniel whiteley » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:38 am

Errrrrrrmmmmm yes
daniel whiteley

Postby steve t » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Yes that needs a good case of looking at recommend stickys book if you haven't already got it could just be a case of gear box shimming or something more sinister any way it needs sorting before it legs you up it won't fix itself :lol:
steve t

Postby Jim Rose » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Check that the back plate hasn't come loose that will give you play in the gearbox and is a quick fix
Jim Rose

Postby rossclark » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Agree with the above, chain is probably Ok and it also looks like the clutch top plate has bee rubbing on the kickstart shaft.
rossclark

Postby Danbretta » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:42 pm

You are spot on, on further inspection the kick start shaft has been rubbing. Looks like I'll have to start stripping bits back and seeing what's hidden underneath. Wasn't looking forward to this but needs must and all that.
Danbretta

Postby dickie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:19 pm

Drop the motor. Do it on a bench. Piece of piss and the most enjoyable part of lambretta ownership IMHO.
dickie

Postby Danbretta » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:50 pm

I'll give it a go. Not worked on one of these before I'm new to lambretta ownership.
Danbretta

Postby steve t » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:36 pm

As I mentioned above buy stickys book or wait till end of month and buy version 3 if you ant already got it you'll not go far wrong also plenty of good advice on here
steve t

Postby Danbretta » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:38 pm

I have the second edition and I'll no doubt get the 3rd when it comes out later in the month. I've ordered the tools for the job so I'll stuck into it this weekend.
Danbretta

Postby Danbretta » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi All,
So an update to my original post. I've taken the gearbox apart and replaced a few bearings and seals including the rear hub bearing. I have put it all back together but am getting a noise when rotating the hub in the forward direction, seems quieter in reverse. So what I'm asking is should I strip it back and start again or is this noise ok in this state (before oil and chain load).
https://youtu.be/fnE7x9JQYWA

The kickstart wasn't seated flush against the internal chain cover and looked to be rubbing against the clutch cover. Also I thought the kickstart test might have been catching 1st gear (see original video). Could it have been miss meshed gears all along.

I have rotated the gears after install each one and 1st and 2nd seem quiet. The noise starts to appear when I put the 3rd gear in. It has the original logo on it but as the scooter is an early pacemaker it may have come with the thinner 3rd gear. The cluster would be the same so if the gear has been changed to a thicker genuine one then it should mesh ok shouldn't it?

Sorry if this sounds a dumb question but I'm not a mechanic nor an engineer.

Thanks.
Dan.
Danbretta

Postby Danbretta » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Just a thought, if the 3rd gear was replaced in the past from the thin to the thicker later one should the cluster be changed too? I thought there was only one for the pacemaker. Did they adjust the gap on the 3rd cluster gear to suit? Any one have much knowledge on these gears.
Danbretta

Postby holty » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:03 pm

i would put the clutch spider on and tighten it up, your gear cluster might not be all the way into the endplate bearing and see if that gets rid of the noise, it shouldnt sound like that.
holty

Postby Danbretta » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:31 pm

Thanks, I'll try that and see how it goes. Hopefully it won't need stripping out again.
Danbretta

Postby Danbretta » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:31 am

Put the clutch back in and tightened up. Noise still there, in neutral not too bad but put into gear the noise comes back. Would a worn gear selector be the culprit or would that just make the gear change sloppy?

New video below.
https://youtu.be/e-PdoaQW8R8
Danbretta

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:26 pm

Having watched the video, I would suggest that you need to eliminate the chance of the cluster rubbing with the crankcase/miss-meshing with the loose gears by fitting the endplate (it doesn't need to be fixed securely) so that the cluster can be pulled into it's correct position by tightening the clutch nut.

If that does not eliminate the noise, remove the cursor entirely & try the same test.

Many cursors are machined out of alignment & catch on first gear internal faces &/or dogs & I have taken to re-using old OEM cursors with re-ground dog faces because new cursors are so poor......
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby HxPaul » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:35 pm

Danbretta wrote:Put the clutch back in and tightened up. Noise still there, in neutral not too bad but put into gear the noise comes back. Would a worn gear selector be the culprit or would that just make the gear change sloppy?

New video below.
https://youtu.be/e-PdoaQW8R8

I thought you said that you've put the clutch back in.In the video the endplate or the clutch spider aren't on.
HxPaul

Postby Danbretta » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Yes i did put it in, the noise was still there so I stripped it all out again to recheck the gears and see if I could find anything out of alignment. Will have a closer look this weekend. I've got the layshaft and cursor out for inspection now.
Danbretta

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3