LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

buzzwangle

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

buzzwangle

Postby kennystag » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Any body used this gadget, is it any good. Please let me know.
Cheers
Stag
https://www.thescooterrepublic.co.uk/ot ... UUZU4Yc6z8
kennystag

Re: buzzwangle

Postby coaster » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:52 pm

The idea is sound and has been around for a few years, I have a small bracket That I bought off Facebook a couple of years ago which pushes over the nut and allows a smart phone to be used with a spirit level app, worked a treat for me. These kits us a stand alone gauge and Im pretty sure Sticky sells exactly the same kit trough Scooter Nova. You will still need to find and mark TDC using the Dead Stop method.
coaster

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:30 pm

Apparently it is a thing. I must admit I'd thought it was a joke until I saw the video on SLUK.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby Knowledge » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:06 am

I have one, and there will be a review in Oily Rag section of the next edition of Jetset (actually, it might be the one after next)

The kit is good, and the inclinometer is well thought out: better than a £20 you can buy off ebay.

I spotted it being used in a video by a Scandinavian tuner in a YouTube series by Vogger “2 stroke stuffing”. A guy who drinks whisky whilst tuning two strokes in his shed at night. Sadly, he did not persevere with the adapter, which is a shame, as it has many good features.

Mr 2strokestuffing liked the inclinometer a lot though, and finds it much better than a timing disc.
Knowledge

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:16 pm

Something else we’ve managed without all this time.
I expect it will add another 10mph !!
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Digger » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:28 am

£90 Hmmm. :o

Just watched the video - looks simple enough.
Digger

Postby Timexit17 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Great piece of kit.
Fair enough you can get the inclinometer on its own from China a fair bit cheaper but without the screw in adaptor you're a bit stuck.
Timexit17

Postby Knowledge » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:21 am

You say that Tim, but my cheap inclinometer from China reads from zero to 90degress, and the back down to zero. This is fine if you are measuring degrees for ignition timing, but it makes port timings really hard to calculate.

The inclinometer with the Buzzwangle reads from zero to 360 degrees.
Knowledge

Postby Sticky » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:41 pm

The point of this was to produce a universal tool that fits as many scooter ignitions as possible and provides a rock-solid mount for a 360-degree inclinometer WITHOUT needing to remove the flywheel nut first. At the time I started working on it I wasn't aware of anyone using this system (first prototype was 2016). I don't like the idea of rubber parts being involved in sensitive measurements so this locks in position of the flywheel with a centre-screw. The idea of a tool to mount onto the extractor thread and also versions to fit to the crankshaft thread were subject to a patent application and design rights registrations.

I can't explain what a nightmare getting this to production has been. You may notice that the Buzzwangle tool in the video is different in construction to the final one. The prototype ones in the video were cast and then machined. The final versions are CNCd from billet. At first we planned to make it in magnetic stainless steel (there are some grades that attract magnets) but we ended up with prototypes that were made out of normal stainless and the meter wouldn't stick (FAIL). Then they had problems stopping the lost wax steel casting from warping, making it impossible to machine opposing threads (FAIL 2). Finally the CNC ones are made in steel and then chrome plated but even these took a bit of modification to get right.

When comparing prices please also consider that apart from the tool there is also an adjustable piston stop in the kit that will fit any head (short or long reach, 14mm or 8mm thread). Again it's designed to be universal.

You can manage without no problem, but it's faster, easier and more accurate to use this method compared to a degree disc and particularly to the dial-gauge method. Those dealers who now have use in the workshop (Scooter Surgery and Rimini Lambretta Centre) swear by them mostly because it is an enormous time-saver. We had to measure the port timing on an engine for my son the other day and examine the effect of different packing plates. Using this method really made it a piece of piss.

Postby Knowledge » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:52 pm

I had a big play with my Buzz Wangle last night, and it really is a step-change from the degree disc method of port timing measurement. So flexible, in a rock-solid kind of way.
Knowledge

Postby ROClarke » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Thinking of getting one to check the port timing on my TS1230,somthing I have never considered before and now very little about.
Can anyone give me some pointers as to what is should be set at ?
running a BGM V4 and 30mm Dellorto
ROClarke

Postby Mag » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Used the Buzzwangle for the first time this week, just to check my timing marks.

After decades of using a timing disc I can safely say the Buzzwangle is massively easier, quicker and less hastle.
Mag

Postby Wack » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:16 am

When checking port timings, can the engine be vertical in an engine stand or does it have to be horizontal?
Wack

Postby Timexit17 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:48 pm

Just wanted to add -I do have the buzz wangle and didn't realise the chinese copies only got to 90 degrees, so I'm perfectly happy with my kosher buzz wangle thanks!
Timexit17

Postby Knowledge » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:05 pm

Wack wrote:When checking port timings, can the engine be vertical in an engine stand or does it have to be horizontal?

Any angle, though the flywheel must be vertical so that gravity acts on the buzz wangle. When the Inclinometer lies on its back, it shows an error message.
Knowledge

Postby Wack » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:15 pm

Thanks, as you say it shows an error just like the 90 degree ones then.
Wack

Postby Sticky » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:26 am

Just done a new website for the Buzzwangle at http://www.buzzwangle.com which includes improved instructions (the method of operation for anti-clockwise flywheels like LDs is slightly different) and also an FAQ dealing with the ERR issue when the meter face is not vertical.

Postby TurboTrev » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:04 pm

Bit late to the party and excuse my ignorance, but will this work with a standard ducati 6v points ignition system, as fitted by the factory? Thanks.
TurboTrev

Postby Wack » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:26 pm

Yes, it doesn’t matter what ignition is used but make setting when your points start opening far more accurate.
Wack

Postby TurboTrev » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:53 pm

Wack wrote:Yes, it doesn’t matter what ignition is used but make setting when your points start opening far more accurate.

Thanks for that. Once the points are set to the correct gap, I assume I still have to take the flywheel on and off to adjust the stator plate until the points open at the correct time? As you can tell I'm useless with the points/timing side of things!!
TurboTrev

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3