LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Heli coils

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Heli coils

Postby gizmo » Mon May 06, 2024 10:43 am

Are the top two threads on a horncasting deep enough to fit a Heli coil.
gizmo

Re: Heli coils

Postby Toddy » Mon May 06, 2024 11:54 am

gizmo wrote:Are the top two threads on a horncasting deep enough to fit a Heli coil.

Yes you can get different length helicoils though
Toddy

Postby gizmo » Mon May 06, 2024 3:13 pm

Toddy wrote:
gizmo wrote:Are the top two threads on a horncasting deep enough to fit a Heli coil.

Nice one Thanks Toddy. Just ordered some.
gizmo

Postby LambrettaMarky » Tue May 07, 2024 10:09 am

Something I tend to do nowadays with any helicoil and especially so when they're into ally, is to soak the helicoil in thread lock (Green, so a strong one) & then run a tap through it when it's had time to dry.

Should last pretty much forever then.

You can also stack them so having shorter ones is generally a good idea as shortening a longer helicoil can leave a sharp edge at the top.
LambrettaMarky

Postby hullygully » Wed May 08, 2024 10:41 am

Toddy wrote:

+1
just done mine with a 5mm long M5 8-)
hullygully

Postby Fast n Furious » Wed May 08, 2024 8:40 pm

LambrettaMarky wrote:Something I tend to do nowadays with any helicoil and especially so when they're into ally, is to soak the helicoil in thread lock (Green, so a strong one) & then run a tap through it when it's had time to dry.

Should last pretty much forever then.

You can also stack them so having shorter ones is generally a good idea as shortening a longer helicoil can leave a sharp edge at the top.

Need to be a bit careful about running a tap down the inside of a Helicoil.
You've got 2 very hard materials here. The tap can snatch and bind to the Helicoil usually resulting in dissapointment.
I prefer to use a standard soft screw and run it in and out with some Toothpaste to bed the thread. Sounds a bit unconventional but it works.
if you need to shorten a Helicoil,then I find the slitting disc on a Dremmel works best. Deburring the cut afterwards is paramount. ;)
Fast n Furious

Postby LambrettaMarky » Fri May 10, 2024 9:47 pm

We all have our ways. I have found that Helicoils just need a clean through & alignment once inserted which is where the tap has helped me over the years. You're not removing material with the tap, as like you say they are HARD...
LambrettaMarky

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3