LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Reusing Mag Housing Bearing

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Reusing Mag Housing Bearing

Postby NorthernJordan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:30 pm

I'm in the process of rebuilding my engine after a seal went, but theres a crack in the mag housing. I've got a new bearing on order, but the timing is getting rather fine. Would there be any issues if I tap the old bearing out and fit it to my new mag housing? I know its not ideal to hammer bearings in/out. This is only if the new one doesn't arrive Saturday as I need it built this weekend ideally.

Jordan
NorthernJordan

Re: Reusing Mag Housing Bearing

Postby Scooter Paul » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Providing the old bearing is ok and you heat up the flange enough that it doesn't require a good welt to get it out, yes no problem. Bonus is you won't have to change the inner race on the crank as they are already matched..

Paul
Scooter Paul

Postby Tractorman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:51 pm

If the old bearing is serviceable then there should be reason not to use it again providing you can get it out without damaging it. If you heat the housing up well and hit the crank side face of the housing down hard on a block of wood the bearing should start to move. You need to re-heat the housing a couple of times and it's best not to do it in the kitchen or you''ll be in for some grief :(

Sorry scooter paul you were a bit quicker.
Tractorman

Postby IaninDorset » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:46 pm

When the bearing is out, I would give it a good check over and proceed from there, sideways play, looseness of races, any rough spots when spinning but if all good and you used a good qual oil I can't see an issue with that as these are designed for extreme stresses so as long as you don't stress the inner against the outer races themselves or the retainers of the balls no reason why you can't reuse.
IaninDorset

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3