LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Maybe an issue, maybe not, I'm not losing sleep of this

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Maybe an issue, maybe not, I'm not losing sleep of this

Postby Hoffman Fisher » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:42 pm

I'm thinking about changing my carb which is a 22 jetex, jetting is 43 Pilot, 100 main, 50 Starter, the main was dropped from 118 and the pilot dropped from 45 for poor warm starting issues. The air screw on it doesn't change a thing either?
The thing is I'm running a 62.4 piston and when out and about it runs kind or fine, when I'm in 4th gear with the throttle fully open the lack of power/speed is odd and takes maybe a minute or two to catch up. Is this down to having dropped the main and pilot jets and not enough juice is getting into the barrel on time.
Never had a problem with the hot starting prior to 2013 winter hibernation and since then to compensate I've cut 10mm hole in air hose and dropped jetting to get it back to starting when warm.
I'm looking at a 26mm dellorto as the change over.

I may be a bit vague on points and I may be required to offer up some more information, which is not a problem, just ask!

This is not something that overly concerns me, I don't lose sleep over it, nor am I pulling my hair out in frustration. I'm just looking for sound conversational knowledge on it and I know jetting and carbs can create great and vast discussions.

Cheers
Hoffman Fisher

Re: Maybe an issue, maybe not, I'm not losing sleep of this

Postby St George » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:36 pm

What engine size, which exhaust ? Ported ? I have a stage 4 200 with same carb. 50 pilot and 122 main. Is your choke closing correctly ? Which air filter do you have ?
St George

Postby Meds » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:56 pm

I have similar warm starting issues, on a standard 150 with standard jetting and exhaust, but my way round it is to turn the petrol off and run it on a little when stopping otherwise it floods. When restarting I don't put the fuel on till it is running. Ahh the joy of jetex.
Mine does have have a big mid range power lag if I wang the throttle open, it doesn't seem too bad if I progressively increase through the revs. I don't know how to cure this as there isn't any adjustment on the slide and I don't know enough to about it to alter the slide shape.
Meds

Postby Hoffman Fisher » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:40 pm

Engine size is converted to 175 from 150 LI series 3, the exhaust is a PM Tuning racing product (big barrel), no changes made to porting as I'm not to au fait with the how's/where's/why's and what's. The air filter is a standard Series 3 Air Filter (ltalian).
The restarting from warm is the same - keeping fuel and throttle off and it starts 1st or 2nd kick. prior to cutting the 10mm hole in the air hose I had to remove air hose and it would start no problem, air hose had a bit of petrol spit back and was (I think) flooding the carb. the lack of usefulness on the air screw is one of the reasons that I'm looking to experiment with the dellorto carb thinking about a either 24 or 26 PHBH or may seek advice as to what make is best suited.

Cheers
Hoffman Fisher

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3