LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Copper sintered disc pads

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Copper sintered disc pads

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:24 pm

Cgt75b wrote:I have a spare Italian disc if you’d like to try that Paul?

But it sounds like you may have cracked it.

Thanks. I have a couple too. Just never sure, after all these years, how flat they are.
Storkfoot

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:29 pm

dickie wrote:I once had a disc that didn't float on the pins properly. The fix was to bend the spring into a tighter radius. Basically the spring was applying too much force on the pins. Maybe you could do the same rather than leave it out?

Thanks. I’ll see how it goes. :)
Storkfoot

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:51 am

IMO sintered pads offer the best braking available in conjunction with the OEM internal disc, Such is the braking capability that when they are used with a hydraulic conversion, as was the practice with racing, the fluid would boil unless a racing ( high temperature) fluid was used,

Some racers went to the trouble of creating their pads with an ear with corresponding notches in the pad housings to prevent the possibility of pad rotation, but that would have been done with the intention of preventing any loss of braking efficiency, That's something I believed unnecessary. However, I dispensed with the M8 grub screw & fitted a large shim behind the static pad as I felt it to be much more purposeful & discourage the pad from spinning.

Mind you, I've always kept the anti-rattle circling in place & left the three pin holes as OEM, assembled with Copaslip.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby Storkfoot » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:41 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:IMO sintered pads offer the best braking available in conjunction with the OEM internal disc, Such is the braking capability that when they are used with a hydraulic conversion, as was the practice with racing, the fluid would boil unless a racing ( high temperature) fluid was used,

Some racers went to the trouble of creating their pads with an ear with corresponding notches in the pad housings to prevent the possibility of pad rotation, but that would have been done with the intention of preventing any loss of braking efficiency, That's something I believed unnecessary. However, I dispensed with the M8 grub screw & fitted a large shim behind the static pad as I felt it to be much more purposeful & discourage the pad from spinning.

Mind you, I've always kept the anti-rattle circling in place & left the three pin holes as OEM, assembled with Copaslip.

Thanks for that. Hopefully, I shall be able to give it a proper road test tomorrow. I’ll report back :)
Storkfoot

Postby martyn dwane » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:30 am

''Some racers went to the trouble of creating their pads with an ear with corresponding notches in the pad housings to prevent 'the possibility of pad rotation, but that would have been done with the intention of preventing any loss of braking efficiency,''
back in the early 80`s my club often went to watch scooter racing ,I seem to remember Taffspeed using Citreon BX or CX hand brake pads in their disc brake, or did i dream that :?: :lol:
martyn dwane

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:15 am

martyn dwane wrote: back in the early 80`s my club often went to watch scooter racing ,I seem to remember Taffspeed using Citreon BX or CX hand brake pads in their disc brake, or did i dream that :?: :lol:

That sounds like the sort of thing that would occur, but the best kept secret was where the MSC slave cylinder seals & dustcaps came from. They were rumoured to have originated from a French car. IMO Dave Webster manufactured the best hydraulic conversion for the OEM inboard disc.....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby martyn dwane » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:09 pm

''That sounds like the sort of thing that would occur, but the best kept secret was where the MSC slave cylinder seals & dustcaps came from. They were rumoured to have originated from a French car. IMO Dave Webster manufactured the best hydraulic conversion for the OEM inboard disc.....[/quote]''

, I believe they came from a Renault 10/12 rear brake caliper.
I still own 2 DJ hydraulic set ups, the seals seam very hard to source.
martyn dwane

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:24 pm

Storkfoot wrote:
dickie wrote:I once had a disc that didn't float on the pins properly. The fix was to bend the spring into a tighter radius. Basically the spring was applying too much force on the pins. Maybe you could do the same rather than leave it out?

Thanks. I’ll see how it goes. :)

I can safely say that removing the circlip from the disc has remedied the incessant screeching.

However, I have noticed that my front brake cable is 2.0mm thick, whereas the front disc cable should be the thicker 2.5mm diameter. I’ll leave this for the time being but certainly if I reverse pull the brake, I’ll change the cable.

Thanks for all the replies.
Storkfoot

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3