LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

spare and tools

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

spare and tools

Postby jonoy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:29 pm

Evening all

Gp lambretta
Can you give me requirements on spares and tools to carry on a trip
jonoy

Re: spare and tools

Postby lammydave » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:23 am

aa card
lammydave

Postby davedidsmith » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:47 am

lammydave wrote:aa card

class :lol:
davedidsmith

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:26 am

If you are competent and confident, then a tool of your choice to undo and retighten every nut and bolt on your scooter.
Go over your scooter with panels off and make sure you have the correct sizes for wheel nuts, front snd rear hub nuts, front/rear suspension, exhaust nuts, allen keys for cables and rear hub, running board nuts, plug spanner, cowling bolts, flywheel nut and flywheel puller, cylinder head nuts plus a means of getting carb off, screwdrivers, mole grips, chaincase nuts, (I carry a clutch compressor), etc. etc
.etc..... plus torch, hi - viz, phone.
Spares: plug, wheel and hub nuts, cables, plug cap, insulating tape, surgical gloves, wet wipes, toilet paper, water, snack bar, CDI, stator, head gasket, pre soaked clutch plates, gaffa tape. (I carry a spare piston)

The list is as long as your roadside capabilities. I promise you I have used all these at some point for myself or my friends. There is MORE ! Others will add to this as well. A good check of everything before you set off is essential.....plug, wheel nuts, cables.
I guess you'll consider staying home now!:(only joking)
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby HxPaul » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:31 am

CHRIS in MARGATE wrote:If you are competent and confident, then a tool of your choice to undo and retighten every nut and bolt on your scooter.
Go over your scooter with panels off and make sure you have the correct sizes for wheel nuts, front snd rear hub nuts, front/rear suspension, exhaust nuts, allen keys for cables and rear hub, running board nuts, plug spanner, cowling bolts, flywheel nut and flywheel puller, cylinder head nuts plus a means of getting carb off, screwdrivers, mole grips, chaincase nuts, (I carry a clutch compressor), etc. etc
.etc..... plus torch, hi - viz, phone.
Spares: plug, wheel and hub nuts, cables, plug cap, insulating tape, surgical gloves, wet wipes, toilet paper, water, snack bar, CDI, stator, head gasket, pre soaked clutch plates, gaffa tape. (I carry a spare piston)

The list is as long as your roadside capabilities. I promise you I have used all these at some point for myself or my friends. There is MORE ! Others will add to this as well. A good check of everything before you set off is essential.....plug, wheel nuts, cables.
I guess you'll consider staying home now!:(only joking)

And a trailer to carry it all :lol:
HxPaul

Postby jonoy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:47 am

AA card got that :)

I was thinking of essential tools and spares.

:roll:
jonoy

Postby steveg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:37 pm

jonoy wrote:AA card got that :)

I was thinking of essential tools and spares.

:roll:

Basic tool kit like this http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... allen-key/ a set of cables, bulbs, spark plug and HT cap would be a good place to start. From there it really does depend on your mechanical nouse and how much you're willing to attempt at the side of the road
steveg

Postby jonoy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Thanks have bought some spare cables
I wanted to get in idea form others experience what are the items most likely to break.

Starting to get paranoid form my experience of the one i owned in 1981
jonoy

Postby steveg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:33 pm

If you have 12V electronic ignition a spare cdi is useful too. When we go to euro I take the kitchen sink (piston, hub, stator etc) but unless you have the skill and the enthusiasm to keep stuck in there's no point. Also no point carrying the [parts if you haven't got the tools to do the job (eg hub puller, flywheel extractor, socket set etc)
steveg

Postby jonoy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:56 pm

i think if the engine goes will just call aa

i just want to carry tools and spares for what others feel are most common failures
jonoy

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:25 pm

With the exception of clutch and flywheel tools and piston, the rest basically are essential.items. From experience I have found few people carry the means to unbolt the front hub when they have a puncture ( The plug spanner fits but it ain't always easy)
I left off lots of things !! Definitely the mini rear jack and because I am tubeless, an aerosol tyre weld.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby jonoy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:12 pm

so cables trunions spanners allen key ,plug spanner plugs ht lead
jonoy

Postby davla » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:10 pm

jonoy wrote:so cables trunions spanners allen key ,plug spanner plugs ht lead

bulbs, mini pliers
davla

Postby IaninDorset » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:42 pm

On my T5 I have a plastic pocketed roll filled with a small socket set+plug socket, 7-17 open/ring spanners, various pliers, pair o' mole grips, hammer through screwdrivers, rear engine jack, full bulb rangex2, 2x plug, spare ign lead and cap, some coils of wire and crimps, insulation tape, small roll duct tape, pack of baby wipes, woodruffs, puller and a clutch doused in oil and clingfilmed, full cables AND solderless nips cos usually when the cable snaps the nip heads off down the road, small tube of silicone, small tube of grease, small tube of ready mixed araldite, tube of Quiksteel, selection of jubilee clips and some hosing, couple compressed air canisters, first aid kit, wind up LED torch, a few black bin liners, waterproof trousers, latex gloves.

Couple other bits n bobs and plenty of rags too but the T5 toolbox and the tool caddy in the spare wheel I put in there is well stocked as anything else that goes that this lot can't fix, the scooter ain't going anywhere anytime soon lol

I will probably have the same sort of kit on the ser 1 but will be more challenging as the toolbox is quite small compared to the PX type one lol

The mad thing is I also have Green Flag... but tales of battling Green Flag to come pick you up ain't quite so good as the tale of the old roadside repair in the dark with your mate aiming his headlight unhelpfully to throw it all into shadow and doing it all by touchy feel.
IaninDorset

Postby JETEX » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Poundworld do a good little torch which will fit inside a Lambretta tool box for er...... £1 ! I carry a lot of the above, definitely the means to change a wheel at least, some cables and some bulbs. I carry my bits and pieces in a couple of those plastic containers with lids on that you get meals in from the Chinese chippy.
JETEX

Postby IaninDorset » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:00 pm

I use those for my nuts, bolts and weird unknown brackets that have accumulated over the years, I also bought a humungus bag of self tappers off ebay that now lives in a ice cream tub and I always recycle old fastenings cos u never know...
IaninDorset

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3