LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Lambretta trailer

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Lambretta trailer

Postby Geocamper » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Going away in the campervan for a couple of days and I want to take the scooter. It's no fun on a campsite in the middle of know where and having to use the van everyday for transport. Can anyone recommend a trailer for my Lambretta. Looked at the normal motorbike ones but they don't look compatible due to the stand and the small wheels.
Geocamper

Re: Lambretta trailer

Postby Knowledge » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi,

It is not a good idea to use the stand when mounting a scooter on a trailer. The best way (for me) is to sit the scooter on its two wheels (stand-up) and tie it down against the suspension. This way, the bumps that the trailer encounters can be absorbed by the scooter's suspension too.

I use two straps at the front, hooked on the grips, crossing on the horn cast (towel as protection) and fixed to the trailer. I use another strap across the seat.

Have another thought about using a motorcycle trailer, armed with this info.

(Alternative views about strapping down will follow......)
Knowledge

Postby Geocamper » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Cheers for the information.
Geocamper

Postby IaninDorset » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:43 am

Don't be tempted by the tow bar mini trailer bars that fit to the front wheel as I was told they work well for bikes but can damage the rear hubs on scooters and bend steering stems because of the stresses placed on the scooter at speed and the angle being set for a full size motorbike.

In my old MKI SWB Transit camper, I had a couple rings bolted into the floor under the carpet and used to just put me scooter in the back and use ratchet straps to hold it firm and a little checker plate ramp.
IaninDorset

Postby jonno » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:18 am

Dave Cooper trailers do a scooter rack that fits across the back of your vehicle.Would be ideal for a camper van.Looks from the pics that a lambretta would fit.
jonno

Postby Geocamper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:20 am

Cheers Ian. If I had the room in the van that would be the first thing I'd do. Unfortunately I have a full camping interior already in there so there is no room for the Lambretta. I have been losing at the Dave cooper collapsible trailers,
http://www.davecooper.co.uk/bike_trailers.asp
The only thing being is where the front wheel sits, The bars look to long so the front wheel wouldn't sit correctly and drop down in between the cross bars.
Geocamper

Postby Geocamper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 am

jonno wrote:Dave Cooper trailers do a scooter rack that fits across the back of your vehicle.Would be ideal for a camper van.Looks from the pics that a lambretta would fit.

Thanks Jonno, just been looking on their website. I seen those racks. As I have a VW Splitscreen camper I was thinking that the Lambretta would be to heavy and weigh the back end down on the camper.
Geocamper

Postby Digger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:40 am

This is just a single motorcycle trailer - just needed a bar at the front to shorten the gap for the front wheel to sit in.
Digger

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:50 am

Not cheap, but im going to get one of these for my VW Type 25 to carry my Lambretta, there are various guises of this design

http://www.cmf-engineering.com/CMFside-load01.htm

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/biketrailers.htm
Paul_from_Thornbury

Postby jonno » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am

That's a neat bit of kit.Ideal. I have a motolug collapsible trailer,the one your going for is only £200 more.
jonno

Postby JETEX » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:34 am

image.jpg

This is us with 2 Lambrettas strapped down on a 3 bike trailer ( I'm the one sitting on the trailer ). Feed the strap through the front rim and pull the wheel tight against the stop. Pull down the rear of the scooter with ratchet straps. Normally, it is better to leave the bike off the stand, but with having two scooters, we didn't want to take the chance of one falling against the other. You have to be careful when tightening the rear ratchet straps so that they don't strain the stand. Do not strap the handlebars as this can snap the headset. It would be a better idea to remove the side panels if you can. PS : we had another Lambretta in the van. We took the van from Liverpool to the Zeebrugge ferry in Hull and then left the van at the port. We thought this would be a good idea as we could use the van for any breakdowns on the way home. It worked out well as it happened. Lambrettas.......you know what they're like !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JETEX

Postby tv175lambretta » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:48 pm

Digger wrote:Image

This is just a single motorcycle trailer - just needed a bar at the front to shorten the gap for the front wheel to sit in.

Think you need to double check your trailer numberplate :D ...
tv175lambretta

Postby JETEX » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 pm

Dyslexic number plate maker.....lol..!...... :lol:
JETEX

Postby Digger » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:12 pm

That's Halfords for you..... ;)
Digger

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3