LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Stator plate hell

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Stator plate hell

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:53 am

I have two BGM stators, removed one as having what is believed to be the stator breaking down under high revs. The green/white and red/white readings are correct at static conditions of 530/112 ohms.

My spare was showing open circuit on the LT coil so just fitted a new one, tried to start, no spark, checked readings and now my red/white circuit has gone open circuit, was fine on the bench 30 minutes ago.

So need some advice on what is the best stator to purchase, had issues with these BGM's over the last 24 months, on my 3rd LT coil in this timeframe now.
Paul_from_Thornbury

Re: Stator plate hell

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:29 am

Would you believe it, the flywheel had clipped my red wire, soldered back together and now starting up to full revs.

Need a spare for the unit just removed still, which is best out there? BGM or other?
Paul_from_Thornbury

Postby coaster » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:10 pm

You beat me to it, I was going to suggest a trapped wire, very easily done :oops:

Regards the best staters, unless you want to change the flywheel as we'll then BGM are as good as it gets.

Colin
coaster

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:16 pm

Well thought was fixed, had all the wiring loosely connected with CDI just dangling. Started to fit all back together and now it's gone back so misfiring again. Undone all wiring but still missing.
I guess will just have to bite bullet and get a new stator as I will then have a baseline to work from.
Paul_from_Thornbury

Postby coaster » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:35 pm

If you have had the misfire with both stators I would suspect the CDI or maybe even the flywheel.....assuming the lead/cap/plug have all been changed too? Also, it would be worth disconnecting the green that goes to the ignition switch from the cdi just in case there is some leakage to earth.
coaster

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:56 pm

I have changed CDI for a new one, lead and plug and disconnected the green wire, it's a new flywheel fitted with GP crank when engine rebuilt this spring.
I'm just going bite bullet and buy a new stator, order tomorrow, at least will give me a baseline to work from.
Paul_from_Thornbury

Postby Wack » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:01 pm

VE Spares sell a stator around the same price as the BGM that is supposedly compatible with every make of flywheel . I asked at Beedspeed about them and was told they're made as well as a BGM so ordered one but they sent a BGM instead :?
Wack

Postby coaster » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:28 pm

Wack wrote:VE Spares sell a stator around the same price as the BGM that is supposedly compatible with every make of flywheel . I asked at Beedspeed about them and was told they're made as well as a BGM so ordered one but they sent a BGM instead :?

The BGM stator isn't just about the quality of construction, it has more turns on the lighting coils and a thicker core which help give a slightly higher output. The LT coil is of a better quality than the Indian ones and so too is the pickup. I don't know anything about the VE one :|
coaster

Postby gaz_powell » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:40 pm

Wonder if it the new Uni Auto produced one - a 120 W stator - haven't used one just seen then appear

http://www.ekmpowershop12.com/ekmps/sho ... 2219-p.asp
gaz_powell

Postby coaster » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:55 pm

Interesting, the Uni looks to have similar additional laminates on the core to the BGM so probably also has extra windings. Not a lot cheaper than the BGM to be fair any background on Uni?
coaster

Postby Scooterlam » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:23 am

Love Andy, s advert ...and at £62 we think its good value for money, our price £65.
Scooterlam

Postby gp200ts1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:39 pm

my ts1 was misfiring at high revs so I checked the BGM stator readings a while it was warm and the LT reading was showing 790 ohms. now it has cooled its back to 510 ohms. not very happy with the bgm LT coils so I'm going back to the vespa ducati ones.
gp200ts1

Postby gaz_powell » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Uni Auto are an Indian company who have been making lambretta parts for years - AF have been supplying their parts for a long time but it appears they have stepped up a gear recently.

I and many others use there hubs and the first ones i got were in plain white carboard box - got one a couple weeks ago in a fancy colour printed box -with logos etc - which i believe most is made in the far east anyway.

I rate there hubs and i`m sure time will tell on the stators - but like Coaster says they look the part over others available and Andy F isnt one for selling crap.

Yes they are indian but i believe most of the BGM stuff is made in the far east anyway and they have had there problems.

Watch this space

However the use of Ducati LT, pick up and CDI will take some beating...............
gaz_powell

Postby coaster » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:29 pm

gaz_powell wrote:.....However the use of Ducati LT, pick up and CDI will take some beating...............

Finding a supplier of genuine Ducati parts is the problem :(
coaster

Postby Adam_Winstone » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:38 pm

That price factor just cracked me up :lol:

Thanks for pointing that out, otherwise I'd have missed that for sure.
Adam_Winstone

Postby gaz_powell » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:13 pm

I got ducati parts from SIP for my last stator built - but I keep K2 spare LTs and pick ups on the shelf for emergencies.
gaz_powell

Postby foremanbob » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:50 pm

gaz_powell wrote:I got ducati parts from SIP for my last stator built - but I keep K2 spare LTs and pick ups on the shelf for emergencies.

Did exactly the same when my BGM pickup chucked it under revs.... Changed for a Ducati pickup from SIP....
foremanbob

Postby coaster » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:58 pm

foremanbob wrote:
gaz_powell wrote:I got ducati parts from SIP for my last stator built - but I keep K2 spare LTs and pick ups on the shelf for emergencies.

Did exactly the same when my BGM pickup chucked it under revs.... Changed for a Ducati pickup from SIP....

Thanks guys, worth knowing 8-)
coaster

Postby Adam_Winstone » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:11 pm

Ditto, I run Ducati LTs that I've robbed off various donor PX/PK stators but have a couple of K2 LTs and pickups. I've yet to fix a stator with a failed pickup, regardless of origin, but replace non-Ducati LTs all the time :( I recently bought BGM replacement LTs but have not fitted one to anything yet so cannot comment on their reliability... they look well made/wound though.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Paul_from_Thornbury » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:48 pm

New stator fixed problem, so looks like I have two BGMs with dud pickups. When I spoke to them they said it was a rare failure and the chances of having two with failed pickups was very slim.
The over revving I'm guessing was coming from the engine taking great gobs of fuel/air mixture that it wasn't igniting due to the pickup failure
Paul_from_Thornbury

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3