LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Wheel rims

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Wheel rims

Postby lambrettatastic » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:53 pm

So,I’ve not done a full on resto for a few years now,and a few things have moved on, so my question is....
If you could buy and fit any wheel rim that available what and why would you fit..
I will be wanting to fit a classic tread but modern tyre.
Thanks in advance!
lambrettatastic

Re: Wheel rims

Postby missing lynx » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:27 pm

I like the sip tubeless I've got them on both my lammys
missing lynx

Postby citydaz » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:36 pm

Tino Sacchi Super safe rims in powder coated white, with Conti twist tyres
citydaz

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:59 pm

People do rate the SIP tubeless rims. And I know they are easy enough to fit now. But it's still a bit of a faff, and personally speaking I rate the ability to change and fit new tyres on my split rims far higher.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby citydaz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:46 pm

ToBoldlyGo wrote:People do rate the SIP tubeless rims. And I know they are easy enough to fit now. But it's still a bit of a faff, and personally speaking I rate the ability to change and fit new tyres on my split rims far higher.

+ 1
citydaz

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:07 pm

I still prefer the good old classic split rim with a good tire and more importantly a proper fitting ( branded) tube.
Rims I’ve used are Fa Italia ( mixed results) and scootopia rims( decent enough)
ULC Soulagent

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm

The last one I bought was a standard BGM rim, and I thought that was excellent quality. Just fits together nicely.
ToBoldlyGo

Postby lambrettatastic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks guys....I do like the idea behind the tubeless rim,but I also like to be able to build and change my own wheels without the faff I think the sips would have....oh desisions!
lambrettatastic

Postby Mel K » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:51 am

I like the satisfying way you can change the tyre yourself with split rims , I also like to carefully scrape the rusty bits of metal off the tube and use it again and always rub down and paint the inner faces of the rim before fitting the new tyre . All though I’m also thinking about Rimini ‘s latest offering in the tubeless department that fits the 8 stud Octopus hub , not sure if these fit every type of front and rear hubs though ? :ugeek:
Mel K

Postby HxPaul » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:23 am

I use beeded ScootRS tubeless on mine.Some dont like them because they're hard to remove the old tyres(I have no problem,I use an angle grinder)I get the new tyres fitted by a tyre fitter.I use them because when fitted they look like original wheels and you dont need to change the wheel studs.
HxPaul

Postby MickYork » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:14 pm

After 40 years of riding scooters i had an "off" last year doing 50 (speedo said 75 !!). The car behind saw my rear wheel suddenly deflate, although i first thought it was a siezure it stopped so suddenly. Small puncture in the inner tube was the cause.

Tubless (AF) with Slime/Goo in for me from now on.
MickYork

Postby kdodd » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:33 pm

whats the tublss split rims like ive seen , come with a sealing ring, would they offer the best of both worlds
kdodd

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:49 pm

kdodd wrote:whats the tublss split rims like ive seen , come with a sealing ring, would they offer the best of both worlds

You might be referring to the LRS rims manufactured by Lambretta ReStore.

I acquired a pair of these secondhand, some time ago but have yet to build them onto tyres as there are one or two issues with them.

The previous owner obviously had trouble achieving an effective seal with the 'O' rings, which I aim to get around using slightly larger 'O' ring cord that I have bought.

The other issue that I need to address is the valve holes as there is very little flat 'land' around the valve holes with which to seat a valve, though I intend to persevere.

I spoke to Pat (via the telephone) some years ago about his design & he said the cost of the alloy billets prior to machining was the main issue in making this product now unobtainable, which is a shame.

I'm not attempting to 'hijack' this thread, but it would be interesting to know whether anybody is using these rims successfully & what valves they use..... :)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby gp200ts1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Been using a pair of lambretta restore rims on my carbon fibre gp. wide rim on the rear and a standard on the front. i have had no problems with them at all. i have fitted continental move 365 tyres and added tyre slime as a backup.
i'm waiting to see what is happening with the pinasco split tubeless rims that they announced were coming for the lambretta but after 2 years its gone very quiet.
gp200ts1

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 pm

gp200ts1 wrote:Been using a pair of lambretta restore rims on my carbon fibre gp. wide rim on the rear and a standard on the front. i have had no problems with them at all. i have fitted continental move 365 tyres and added tyre slime as a backup.
i'm waiting to see what is happening with the pinasco split tubeless rims that they announced were coming for the lambretta but after 2 years its gone very quiet.

That's encouraging!

Do you know what valves you have fitted, please? :P

(The Pinasco products seem to have been forever coming to market! With the concept of Lambretta split rims, there is a lot going on with such a narrow width to work with, that I wonder whether anybody will ever be successful @ achieving a viable product)
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby gp200ts1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:24 pm

I’m working away this week but will look at the weekend. If my memory serves me right they were bolt in valves from demon tweeks
gp200ts1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3