LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

4 stroking and SWISS ignition?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

4 stroking and SWISS ignition?

Postby Avantone » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi, I’ve had this GP a little while but had it sitting at the back of the garage and never really run it.

It starts and ticks over fine, however when I try to rev it, it just four-strokes with the odd backfire.

I’ve done the quick stuff first; stripped/cleaned the carb (Jetex) and changed the plug and cap and it’s made no difference.

My question is, before I spend time on the ignition/wiring, is the SWISS branded stuff any good and worth investing time in, or should I save time and replace it?

Cheers, Tony
Avantone

Re: 4 stroking and SWISS ignition?

Postby gaz_powell » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Can't comment on SWISS stuff on a lambretta but i did have bad experience of a stator on my P2.
Was on route somewhere and the Italian stator came apart on the rivets...was close to chiselspeed so limpped in, only one they had was a SWISS one, needs must. Fitted and it started first kick and revved fine on stand. Kitted back up off i went heading for A1, as soon as i give it anything it was like hitting a brick wall just would not rev thru, and was missing. Limpped home and swapped for my spare rebuilt Italian one and bingo, like a different bike.
Sounds very similar....
Hopefully your sorted now !
gaz_powell

Re: 4 stroking and SWISS ignition?

Postby Avantone » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:41 pm

gaz_powell wrote:Can't comment on SWISS stuff on a lambretta but i did have bad experience of a stator on my P2.
Was on route somewhere and the Italian stator came apart on the rivets...was close to chiselspeed so limpped in, only one they had was a SWISS one, needs must. Fitted and it started first kick and revved fine on stand. Kitted back up off i went heading for A1, as soon as i give it anything it was like hitting a brick wall just would not rev thru, and was missing. Limpped home and swapped for my spare rebuilt Italian one and bingo, like a different bike.
Sounds very similar....
Hopefully your sorted now !

Thanks Gaz, the symptoms sound the same - I’ve just received a new stator from Anthony Tambs, so that will resolve any issues with the LT coil and pickup once fitted.
Avantone

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3