LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Running a LED tail ligit on 6 volt DC points

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Running a LED tail ligit on 6 volt DC points

Postby Scooterslag » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:08 am

I do love the fact that with the summer evenings and longer days I can kind of get by with my so-so 6 volt lighting on my SX, it isn't too bad but come the darker months I then struggle with seeing the road and have to scream it in 3rd gear just to see the where I'm going - especially on country B-roads with no cats eyes. Now I run a LED speedo bulb and want to run a LED tail light unit in the back but have heard that running such a unit on old school 6 volt DC can cause problems with the battery and the rectifier. Is this true? does anyone run such a set-up and if I have to fit a regulator then where and connected to what? . Oh converting to electronic isn't going to be a option ta muchey, like the simplicity and reliability of my points set-up which has served me well over the years. Paul
Scooterslag

Re: Running a LED tail ligit on 6 volt DC points

Postby coaster » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:39 am

With your set up the rear light will be AC and the brake light will be DC from the battery (I think), I can't see why using an led lamp would cause harm to your rectifier or battery :? However, you will have to try it to see what sort of light output you get with the 6 volt supply.

A better solution would be to do the 'simple 12volt conversion' as detailed on the workshop section on the LCGB main website. Not tried it myself (Electronic with full DC conversion) but others that have who's opinions I value do rate it highly.
coaster

Postby Scooterslag » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:14 am

coaster wrote:With your set up the rear light will be AC and the brake light will be DC from the battery (I think), I can't see why using an led lamp would cause harm to your rectifier or battery :? However, you will have to try it to see what sort of light output you get with the 6 volt supply.

A better solution would be to do the 'simple 12volt conversion' as detailed on the workshop section on the LCGB main website. Not tried it myself (Electronic with full DC conversion) but others that have who's opinions I value do rate it highly.

Yeah I looked into doing the battery/Vespa regulator conversion myself, I've done the AC version to good effect how ever I've never done the battery version or know anyone else who has. The output of my 6 volt system isn't too bad thought the flywheel might benefit from being magnetized again. Paul
Scooterslag

Postby Norm » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:17 am

I'm running an LED tail light on my Cento (original 6V points setup). I haven't ridden it at night yet so can't comment on the effect it has on the headlamp output, but the tail light is certainly nice and bright.

I chose the ScootRS Atomic model rather than the default BGM one as they say that it's OK for 6V and 12V systems, AC and DC. The BGM light specifically says that you must choose 6V or 12V, and that if you have a standard AC system , you need to add a DC rectifier to avoid damage to the LED.

Of course, it could be that the ScootRS one is the same and they just don't mention it, but so far so good.
Norm

Postby Captain Pugwash » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:36 pm

You could convert your existing 6 volt stator to 12v dc and keep the points and ignition coil that it has now, much more reliable system than ever given credit for IMO.

If you decide to do this, and might need any help just get in touch with a PM

Mark.
Captain Pugwash

Postby coaster » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:28 pm

coaster wrote: A better solution would be to do the 'simple 12volt conversion' as detailed on the workshop section on the LCGB main website. Not tried it myself (Electronic with full DC conversion) but others that have who's opinions I value do rate it highly.

Captain Pugwash wrote:You could convert your existing 6 volt stator to 12v dc and keep the points and ignition coil that it has now, much more reliable system than ever given credit for IMO.

Mark.

That's one of them ;)
coaster

Postby IaninDorset » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:15 pm

The beauty of LED's is that they last for 5 years plus, rain or shine and need little effort than just the standard check to see if its working but it does take a lot of agg out of life and you can get your reflectors nice and shiny using a small piece of mirror vinyl if the reflector isn't its best too.

Most Chinese LED bulbs are protected so you can't bad pole them but some LED's have micro transformers built in and can sense whether its 6-12VDC or VAC, you can also get projector LED's in white, red and amber which are very bright LED's due to the lens attached to them and I was thinking of getting some red projectors for extra rear visibility and are a doddle to fit as they are like repeater lamp fitments so any hole or bracket can get them fitted.

The holy grail still remains to be decent output headlamp LED's, Harley's have them but they are like 90 quid so Harleys can keep 'em too...
IaninDorset

Postby Scooterslag » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:10 pm

Captain Pugwash wrote:You could convert your existing 6 volt stator to 12v dc and keep the points and ignition coil that it has now, much more reliable system than ever given credit for IMO.

Mark.

Thanks for that Mark, I quite like the idea of the 12 volt points, will PM for some more details. Paul
Scooterslag

Postby Captain Pugwash » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:59 am

The good thing about the full 12 v dc conversion over your current system even with a fully re magnetised flywheel is you have more current available for the headlight over the 25-35 watts supplied as standard to the main beam circuit.

This does allow for a much brighter headlight or the use of a more powerful spot light to be used when needed.

I run a 35 watt head light on one scooter and a 55 watt on another. both are fitted with 7amp/hour batteries.

My standard scooter ran a 35 watt headlight it was not as bright as on the full dc conversion.
Captain Pugwash

Postby Captain Pugwash » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:07 pm

This is the old slightly rusted Ducati stator supplied for a full dc Old School Conversion. It looks to have been rewired with a new harness and some heavy duty wires, the condenser and points also seem to have had some attention with a soldering iron.

Stator stripped down to basics, it shows the rust that's built up over time.

Next, clean up and a couple of lighting coils rewound.

No felt pad on the stator, and the points and condenser fitted are not really good enough to use, so I've supplied a new old stock Ducati Condenser and a set of New double sprung GP type points and a decent secondhand Italian felt pad.

Just needs the harness wires soldering on and some interconnecting wires to join the lighting coils in the correct order to supply the maximum current with the minimum volts.

Hope to finish this off next weekend.
Captain Pugwash

Postby Scooterslag » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Captain Pugwash wrote:This is the old slightly rusted Ducati stator supplied for a full dc Old School Conversion. It looks to have been rewired with a new harness and some heavy duty wires, the condenser and points also seem to have had some attention with a soldering iron.

Stator stripped down to basics, it shows the rust that's built up over time.

Next, clean up and a couple of lighting coils rewound.

No felt pad on the stator, and the points and condenser fitted are not really good enough to use, so I've supplied a new old stock Ducati Condenser and a set of New double sprung GP type points and a decent secondhand Italian felt pad.

Just needs the harness wires soldering on and some interconnecting wires to join the lighting coils in the correct order to supply the maximum current with the minimum volts.

Hope to finish this off next weekend.

That looks fantastic mark, cheers for sorting out my stator :) paul
Scooterslag

Postby Dimitrios_231 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:16 pm

Work of art 8-)
One of the best things that I've ever fitted on my lammy.
It works much better than anything other modern electronic I've used
Dimitrios_231

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:50 pm

Nice work Mark.

I'd be interested to see the finished wiring so that I could see more clearly whether this was intended to be taken to earth, one end for 12V use, or double-ended (no comments!) with the intention of DC'ing it? I've got into the habit of double-ending, like the Spanish stators, so that you still have the option of taking one end of the 12V lighting coils to earth externally.

Again, a joy to see your work :)

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Postby Captain Pugwash » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Dimitrios_231 wrote:Work of art 8-)
One of the best things that I've ever fitted on my lammy.
It works much better than anything other modern electronic I've used

THANKYOU Dimitrios, I hope yours is still running well, it must be a year or more since I did that one. 8-)
Captain Pugwash

Postby Dimitrios_231 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:26 pm

It works fantastic,
brilliant spark,great lights.
Much better than the BGM and Parmakit ignition kits that I've used.

The very first time, I had a problem but had nothing to do with the stator,I used a brand new modern CEAB coil that was problematic.
I replaced it with an old used original Ducati coil,no problems ever since.
Dimitrios_231

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:32 pm

Decent felt pads that fit the recess and are not floppy are getting harder too find these days :(
Adam_Winstone

Postby Captain Pugwash » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Finished.
Captain Pugwash

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Tidy :)
Adam_Winstone

Postby Scooterslag » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Looks great, many thanks again Mark. Paul