LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Cooling improvements

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Cooling improvements

Postby ULC Soulagent » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:26 pm

dickie wrote:Looks like we're going over well-trodden ground. I started to think it rang a bell.

Some very good discussions here.

http://www.ilambretta.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7386&hilit=cowling&start=20

Agree but where still waiting on FnF pics of the head cowling ;)
ULC Soulagent

Postby dickie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:29 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:
dickie wrote:Looks like we're going over well-trodden ground. I started to think it rang a bell.

Some very good discussions here.

http://www.ilambretta.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7386&hilit=cowling&start=20

Agree but where still waiting on FnF pics of the head cowling ;)

Well the mods I did were copied from FnF, so he can be let off the hook with that :D
dickie

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:47 am

Thought it about time I sussed this posting pics malarky. So here goes......Think I must have Lockdown fever. :(

This mod I first did 5 years ago on my TS1/200
This snail shell cowling grabs and rams lot of air at motorway+ speeds. It does involve some discreet modification of the left hand foot board.
Note the nifty oval removable grommet at the top of the cowling. Strobe timing access check point. :idea:
cowling 1++.jpg[/attachment
[attachment=0]cowling2+++.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fast n Furious

Postby vegansydney » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:04 am

On the topic of cooling, I'd love to see a back-to-back comparison of flywheel fans. There has been some work done by MMW and Casa Performance, but its either restricted to particular flywheels, or provides very limited data. Ideally this would critically examine the role of dust cap, or dome around the flywheel nut (as seen on Stratos-Ducati, Casa-Ducati and Innocenti-Ducati, SIL etc..), impeller design and provide hard data -- not patronizing 'Formula One grade' marketing fluff :roll:

For example the MMW Blowjob fan for the SIP-Vape ignition
increases the flow speed of the air from 75 to 140km at 7500rpm with 35% more flow with a good flow resistance coefficient...
over the standard Vape-SIP flywheel.

I'm not aware of any other hard data on any other fan, including the Varitronic MMW Blowjob fan, but am extremely curious to see how they compare not only to the standard Varitronic fan, all other commonly used flywheels (Vape-SIP, Innocenti-Ducati, SIL, AF, Stratos-Ducati, Casa-Ducati, Casa HiFlow, Electrix etc..). For any magazine editors or manual authors reading this, I have my money waiting...

ImageImage
vegansydney

Postby ULC Soulagent » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:42 am

Fast n Furious wrote:Thought it about time I sussed this posting pics malarky. So here goes......Think I must have Lockdown fever. :(

This snail shell cowling grabs and rams lot of air at motorway+ speeds. It does involve some discreet modification of the left hand foot board.
Note the nifty oval removable grommet at the top of the cowling. Strobe timing access check point. :idea:

That’s certainly a huge air scoop :o hope no birds or rabbits have been injested :lol:
Certainly makes ya think what can be done too improve cooling and suppose the list is endless especially fan design like VeganSydney said above :D
ULC Soulagent

Postby Solid Air » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:28 am

Fast n Furious wrote:Thought it about time I sussed this posting pics malarky. So here goes......Think I must have Lockdown fever. :(

Nice, I was thinking of something similar so good to see it has been done and yes the strobe port is definitely nifty.

Someone mentioned water injection and I recall a conversation with Andy Vass who I'm sure has done this. Can Andy or anyone share any info / experience on this?

Cheers
Solid Air

Postby ULC Soulagent » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:41 pm

From having a chinwag with Andy about his water injection system directly into the exhaust system, it worked for him, something about fooling the exhaust pressure waves :D only two downsides of it, carrying loads of water and the exhaust rotting from the inside out :(
ULC Soulagent

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:57 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:From having a chinwag with Andy about his water injection system directly into the exhaust system, it worked for him, something about fooling the exhaust pressure waves :D only two downsides of it, carrying loads of water and the exhaust rotting from the inside out :(

Easily remedied.......
1. A stainless expansion chamber.
2. A Catheta. .....and
3. A constant supply of beer in the legshield tool box.

Av it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fast n Furious

Postby ULC Soulagent » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:
ULC Soulagent wrote:From having a chinwag with Andy about his water injection system directly into the exhaust system, it worked for him, something about fooling the exhaust pressure waves :D only two downsides of it, carrying loads of water and the exhaust rotting from the inside out :(

Easily remedied.......
2. A Catheta. .....and

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D
ULC Soulagent

Postby Solid Air » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:29 pm

Fast n Furious wrote:

Easily remedied.......
2. A Catheta. .....and

Ditch that idea then! :lol:
Solid Air

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:37 pm

Old school cooling mods :D
Storkfoot

Postby dickie » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:42 pm

Storkfoot wrote:Image

Old school cooling mods :D

Can't make out what I'm looking at. It's likenone of those 'guess what it is' puzzles in 80s sunday newspaper supplements
dickie

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:55 pm

Apologies. Not great photos. I was in the loft looking for scooter parts when I spotted these old GP panels.

Essentially, there is a hole hacked out of the panel near the flywheel. On the outside of the panel, over the hole, is the air scoop whilst on the inside of the panel is that other home made scoop which is an attempt to direct the airflow towards the fan. Not my work. I bought this panel years ago.
Storkfoot

Postby Knowledge » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Paul,

I always assumed that the scoop on the panel was an old school dodge to put more air into the carb, rather than into the fan.

Ooooeeer.
Knowledge

Postby Fast n Furious » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:49 pm

Yeah.... but back in the day they really thought they were onto something with that one :lol: :lol:
It made all the difference.....Apparently. :lol:
Fast n Furious

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:38 am

Knowledge wrote:Paul,

I always assumed that the scoop on the panel was an old school dodge to put more air into the carb, rather than into the fan.

Ooooeeer.

Yes, it could well be, dependent on the carb and manifold. When I used this panel, it was more effective getting air to the fan ;)
Storkfoot

Postby MickYork » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:39 pm

ok, shoot me down in flames if I've got this completely wrong :shock:

The original Lambretta engines (Ld's, etc), like most motorcycle engines had a vertical cylinder, with fins running horizontally around the cylinder.

With the now horizontal cylinder and cowls and a fan being used, shouldn't the fins run in parallel with the cylinder, matching the fins on the cylinder head ?

It appears to me that with the cooling system we have, the cool air is more directed to the base of the cylinder, with poor quality cool air reaching the head. I suppose some sort of spiral fin arrangement would be even better, helping to direct the air where it is most needed.

Am I right in my assumptions and everyone else who has designed a Lambretta cylinder is wrong :?
MickYork

Postby Andyf » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:03 pm

does it depend on the angle-of-approach of the cool air? If the fan is blasting it at the side it would go nowhere with vertical fins. However, would it be much better with vertical fins if the head-cowl was slotted/amended/holed?
Andyf

Postby MickYork » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:09 pm

I just see the bottom fin as stopping the flow to the head. If the fins were vertical on the barrel the cool air would go straight to the head where it is most needed.
MickYork

Postby Andyf » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:12 pm

I have to admit I didn't consider the head as most important part for cooling. I see your point more clearly now.
Andyf

PreviousNext

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3