LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Clubman U Bend just too short

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Clubman U Bend just too short

Postby Granty » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:56 am

Morning -- needing a 2nd or 3rd of 4th opinion please? Fitting an AF clubman to standard 150 casing -- all fitting well apart from the u-bend seems a couple of mm too short to properly seal with main box. When fitting all together the u bend insert (male / female connection) doesn't slide fully past the cut outs on the box connection. What's the thoughts on a solution, would it be as simple as wrapping the join in exhaust tape and covering with a quality exhaust clamp? Welding up a couple of mm in the cut outs so the u bend pipe slides past then & seals or a new u bend?

I think it may be that I have a chrome ancilotti downpipe with an AF clubman? Apart from this a good fit TBH.

Thoughts welcome guys -- G
Granty

Re: Clubman U Bend just too short

Postby HxPaul » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:13 am

Last edited by HxPaul on Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
HxPaul

Postby missing lynx » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:49 am

Get a down pipe to match the box, there will always be variations between different manufacturers
missing lynx

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:51 pm

If you can post a photo here, there may be a solution that will be viable. Commercially available size adaptors in common use for car tuning exhausts are available. It may be that using such an adaptor will enable you to dispense with clamping & use springs instead to pull the whole caboodle together. For the sake of welding (or brazing!) on a few HD staples to make the hooks, a very worthwhile modification IMO.

That said, if the dilemma presents the opportunity to rubber mount the whole box, you could take that advantage. My DIY 'Clubman' is fully rubber mounted to gain the benefits of not only being able to vibrate (as an expansion chamber should) but also ensure less likelihood of cracking & falling apart. Well, it hasn't needed welding near the mounting points, just where I stupidly allowed the 'box to make contact with the crankcase cover & kickstart :oops:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby davla » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:36 pm

Get the correct U bend to fit the pipe from AF
davla

Postby Granty » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback boys, I've got it on the bench and got the box off, on further inspection the u bend does indeed slide into the main box far enough. I think the problem might have been a cheap clamp that would struggle keeping a pair of pyjama bottoms up. I'll get a quality clamp and some sealing compound. Looks like I may have been too pessimistic for once. G
Granty

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3