LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

In-line fuel filter recommendations

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

In-line fuel filter recommendations

Postby Knowledge » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:48 pm

I am after an in-line fuel filter for a 125.

Any recommendations?
Knowledge

Re: In-line fuel filter recommendations

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:19 am

The generic type that I have always preferred was because I used to run air cooled VW's so when I needed to first run one on a Lambretta, it was to hand. They are not the smallest filter, but very user friendly to clean via reverse flow, & inexpensive.

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/ ... c0QAvD_BwE
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby GExS » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:34 pm

I tried an inline filter once, it blocked up and I've never used them since but good luck using one anyway.
GExS

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:28 pm

I found most of them needed a pumped supply and as such became quite restrictive.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby dickie » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:59 pm

GExS wrote:I tried an inline filter once, it blocked up and I've never used them since but good luck using one anyway.

Surely that's a good thing?

I know people are against them, but if you use a big one, it's not going to seriously restrict flow.

Has anyone ever tried the "pint per minute test"? I certainly haven't but I think I will when I eventually get some time at home.
dickie

Postby bike grim » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:49 am

Eurocarb do a small one which is metal gauze inside a transparent tube by Malossi that doesn’t restrict flow too much. Even the larger car type white plastic/orange paper filter restrict flow too much in my experience
bike grim

Postby Knowledge » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:49 am

Thanks guys.

Remember, this is only a 125 running an SH20, so I am not expecting it to consume a pint a minute. :D
Knowledge

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:18 pm

dickie wrote:
GExS wrote:I tried an inline filter once, it blocked up and I've never used them since but good luck using one anyway.

Surely that's a good thing?

I know people are against them, but if you use a big one, it's not going to seriously restrict flow.

Has anyone ever tried the "pint per minute test"? I certainly haven't but I think I will when I eventually get some time at home.

I totally agree & an in line filter with adequate flow just shows the adequacy of the standard tank filter! The tank filter could be just considered the first 'crude' filter in fuel delivery & may as well be left out for those that end up clogging any decent proprietary in line filter. After all, if an in line filter is getting clogged, WTF is happening in the tank?

Far better to run just a good in line filter in such a scenario as @ least it is easily visible, accessible & cleaned. It may just be extremely useful in indicating a change of tank or fuel brand is necessary....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby martyn dwane » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:20 pm

here`s what i use ,it`s glass and can be taken apart to clean it out.
doesn't reduce flow .
https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk ... uel-filter
martyn dwane

Postby GExS » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:03 am

Further to what I said earlier, I had a plastic one, the scooter started cutting out and gradually got worse. I couldn’t see the blockage inside the filter at first. Anyway, I took off the filter and would never use one again. There’s a filter on the petrol tap and one going into the carb so that works IMO
GExS

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:12 am

Knowledge wrote:I am after an in-line fuel filter for a 125.

Any recommendations?

Fair enough.....

GExS wrote:Further to what I said earlier, I had a plastic one, the scooter started cutting out and gradually got worse. I couldn’t see the blockage inside the filter at first. Anyway, I took off the filter and would never use one again. There’s a filter on the petrol tap and one going into the carb so that works IMO

So, what was the make, so that it can be avoided? Or it could be added to "Un-recomendations" if that had been asked. :D

Further to my own suggestion, Hella also made good in-line filters.
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3