LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Changing Gear

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Changing Gear

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:45 pm

I recently had occasion to quickly learn how to change gear without the clutch when the cable snapped. Some people do anyway, and I was surprised to find that a friend I was talking to only uses the clutch to start off. Well, long story short, I got home anyway. But it did get me thinking. What's the secret to doing it smoothly?
ToBoldlyGo

Re: Changing Gear

Postby St George » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:15 pm

Same as old cars. All about timing and revs for the gears to fall into place. Try it on you car and you will see how easy it is.
St George

Postby ToBoldlyGo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:01 pm

I'd heard it was a question of timing the change just right. I'm just not sure when that is, :lol:
ToBoldlyGo

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:39 pm

Mmmm, get it wrong and I’d say there might be a few teeth going walkies :?
Tried it myself but couldn’t quite master the revs meshing selection :lol:
ULC Soulagent

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:05 am

Ideally, you need to cut the ignition as you go for the quick change to nuetralise the forces in the gearbox, just like a race bike, rather than rely on a blip of the throttle to match the forces.
Sorting a gear change / ignition cut on a lammy is not something I've ever seen done and is likely to remain so.
Ok to clutchless shift if your looking to take the chequered flag.
Downright mechanically unsympathetic on a road scoot, which inevitably leads to needing Green Flag. :o :lol:
Fast n Furious

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:38 pm

Clutchless changing up is/was the norm on the track. Down changing tends to use the clutch to synchronise engine speed to wheel speed to maintain control, particuarly if banked over.

Not many road cars with straight cut gears are there? Helical allied to synchro unless it's a race 'box, although things may be different these days :?:
Warkton Tornado No.1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3