LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Sadly...

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Sadly...

Postby IaninDorset » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:53 pm

My Ser 1 Loop is going to cost too much to repair as its not only very weak in some parts but also its quite badly skewed and the professional answer so far is replacement of the whole rear section which is all well and good but I ain't got that deep a set of pockets being on disability. Two blasters have said that the rear section will deteriorate into lacework even with mild media and an electroplater has said basically the same for an acid bath in that the whole back section will likely dissolve from above the back light to the base of the loop.

So the alternatives is mild rear cutdown or chop which to me is wrong but what else can I do lol I've spent a veritable small fortune on her so far including original back lights, proper metal front mudguard and stuff but getting some frightening quotes and its just beyond my own DIY capability as I had a go with my panel beating kit, managed to get one dent out but the twist is now even more apparent so one step forward, two steps back.

I'm not going to do anything this side of Xmas, going to continue to get her built up and running, all regged etc but it may be she will end up sidepanelless and a chunk out her back end, in a kind of 60's "trimmed" racer look.

Does anyone have any pictures of trimmed 1 or 2's I can put my mind to?
IaninDorset

Re: Sadly...

Postby coaster » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:08 am

Why not post a picture of your damaged section, someone might have a damaged loop you could cut a section out of, it's been done before 8-)
coaster

Postby xenia1 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:37 am

As Coaster says, if you can find a scrap S1or S2 frame (cheap Indian one maybe?) and have the rear loop section stitched to yours.
xenia1

Postby IaninDorset » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:08 pm

I will do that, the loop itself is in very good condition from the frame breathing aperture but below it, its a leetle worse than I thought.

Its in the neighbours garage at the moment as put her away rather than fret and fret some more lol yet this is why I haven't set myself a date to sort it, I can get access to a plasma cutter/tig welder and me mate has said today he don't mind doing the welding if I can find one, will have to speak to me Indian contacts who might be able to source me a "bustle" for the old girl :)

As it happens the older shape has really grown on me but I so want to get her up and out and around, you know how it is with these things, impatience is the deadliest sin hehe
IaninDorset

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3