LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Rear Hub bafflement

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Rear Hub bafflement

Postby Hoffman Fisher » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:24 pm

Hi all, I got a flat tyre (rear), repaired puncture and put wheel/tyre back on, got puncture on same tyre 10 miles later and since then I've been baffled as to the rear hub as when it's put on and torqued it doesn't turn and I'm wondering if I'm missing something - hub cone is on and sitting in the right place, hub goes on and wavy washer then nut. The thing that has confused me is that I do have another washer the same size as the wavy washer and when I've put it on the axle before the hub goes on then the splines don't fit into each other to turn. the rear brakes are screwed out as far as they can go. I'm sure it has to be something simple or is it a case of can't see the wood for the trees syndrome for me. Please do advise.

Cheers

HF
Hoffman Fisher

Re: Rear Hub bafflement

Postby Jono » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi mate - have you put the spacer washer on before the cone is fitted?
Spacer washer should be 32mm od x 24mm Id x 1 mm thick.
Jono
Jono

Postby steveg » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Have you fitted the spacer that sits behind the hub cone (#20 on the diagram)? http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... res-tubes/
steveg

Postby Hoffman Fisher » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Ah that's what that extra washer is :oops:, the hub cone seems well stuck, any recommendations on the best way to remove it?
Hoffman Fisher

Postby peejay » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Hoffman Fisher wrote:Ah that's what that extra washer is :oops:, the hub cone seems well stuck, any recommendations on the best way to remove it?

i'm assuming you have removed the hub, if so then use a screwdriver in the cone gap to ease it off of the layshaft
peejay

Postby Hoffman Fisher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:19 am

Ok, just checked, and the rear spacer washer is still in place, so it's not that. Any other suggestions?

Cheers
Hoffman Fisher

Postby rogscoot » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:48 am

Bulge in the tyre rubbing on engine case?
rogscoot

Postby drivera » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:30 pm

did you perhaps have 2 washers behind the cone ? could be why the hub won't turn and you have a spare washer ?
drivera

Postby HxPaul » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:01 pm

Why did you remove the hub in the first place ? You dont need to remove it to get the rear wheel off.
HxPaul

Postby Hoffman Fisher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:31 pm

The rear tyre isn't bulging against the casing, the hub had to come off as the studs were just out of kilter the the rim holes (vise versa) and there's only one washer/spacer behind the cone. So the way the hub connects from axle out is - washer/spacer - cone - hub spline connection - wavy washer - nut - locking washer/disc. Or am I missing something? When the hub goes on initially and I move it from left to right you can see the axle turn but you can still hear the rubbing.
Hoffman Fisher

Postby steveg » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:41 pm

What make/size tyre are you using?
steveg

Postby Hoffman Fisher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:29 pm

10" K62 Continental, it was fine prior to puncture(s).
Hoffman Fisher

Postby Jono » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:43 pm

Where is the tyre actually rubbing- on the engine case ?
If so is it the back of the mag flange or the back of the wheel against the gear case?
Jono
Jono

Postby Hoffman Fisher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:56 pm

It seems like the rubbing is coming from the hub (inner) against the inner engine casing, I noticed it almost as if the brakes had been applied when I took it out for a test run the day before yesterday. The rear brake is out almost as far as it can go (barr 2 threads), as the wheel nut gets torqued tighter the wheel turns less and less.
Hoffman Fisher

Postby steveg » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Has the brake cam jammed so the shoes are in contact when you've fitted the hub?
steveg

Postby Jono » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:21 am

Try slipping the brake shoes completely off ( this will eliminate the brake).
Put hub back on with shoes out and torque hub nut to correct setting and try spinning .As someone has previous suggested is the brake cam shaft partially seized thus locking the shoes on.
Jono
Jono

Postby Hoffman Fisher » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Ok, I believe its sorted. Short test run has been carried out to make sure. The problem/issue/strange rubbing thing looks like it was 2 of the drive studs weren't screwed in far enough and it appears that that is what caused the rubbing and I'm assuming that when I was on it the other day that the weight was attributable to the brakes being applied phenomena on the studs and hub (yes, there is a wee bit of mild scratching). Anyhow! Drive studs screwed in proper distance and wheel/hub/wavy washer/locking plate are all in place and nicely torqued and there's no rubbing, wheel spins like it should and brakes work.
Thanks very much everyone who contributed to the thought/working out process. Excellent...
Hoffman Fisher

Postby IaninDorset » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:38 pm

Blimey, you were lucky you didn't hit a pot hole or something that could have sheared the rest off O.o

I had that coming back from an Exmouth run late 80's on a PX cutdown, unbeknown to me, a pothole too much had sheared a couple studs and next minute another rude hole in the A303 ripped the front wheel off and I ended up in a bloody hedge and suffered a nightmare RAC journey home as well :(
IaninDorset

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3