LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

checking electronic lighting coils

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

checking electronic lighting coils

Postby HxPaul » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:13 am

How do you check the lighting coils on an Indian electronic stator plate with a multi meter.
HxPaul

Re: checking electronic lighting coils

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Just measured my brand new unused spare.
White to Yellow measured 0.6 ohms so almost resistance free continuity.
Last edited by CHRIS in MARGATE on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby Captain Pugwash » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Set it to ohms then test between the two yellow wires for a dc 12v or if it's 12v ac test the single yellow wire put one probe here then put the other probe to the backplate.
0.1 ohms per coil is about right , readings between 0.4-0.6 ohms is what you should get.
Remember to test between the probes themselves to check resistance on the meter or if it's an analogue gauge zero the meter first.
If it's an original type 12v dc conversion it should be a lower resistance. Around 0.2-0.3 ohms.
Captain Pugwash

Postby Wack » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:27 pm

I've just repaired one because of no output. All coils ok and gave a reading of 0.6 Ohms on the yellow and earth end of coils. The problem was a loose rivet not crimping the earth tag.
Wack

Postby HxPaul » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:59 pm

Thanks for the replies.The reason I asked the question in the first place was that when I was riding at night the lights were flickering on and off on occasion.I went and checked the resistance as captain pugwash said and the results were,yellow to one probe and the other probe to the backplate got a reading of 0.095.This would suggest that the lighting coils were US.
HxPaul

Postby coaster » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:52 am

HxPaul wrote:Thanks for the replies.The reason I asked the question in the first place was that when I was riding at night the lights were flickering on and off on occasion.I went and checked the resistance as captain pugwash said and the results were,yellow to one probe and the other probe to the backplate got a reading of 0.095.This would suggest that the lighting coils were US.

Agreed, a lower resistance could be an indicator that the coil insulation is braking down but the flickering would lead me to check that you haven't got a loose connection od maybe a trapped wire behind the stator. Worth checking first 8-)

colin
coaster

Postby CHRIS in MARGATE » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:27 am

Readings are also dependant on the quality and accuracy of the meter. Your readings if correct would indicate a possible short circuit in 1 or more of the coils and not a disconnection.
Measure frame and lighting earths to engine ..... should be 0 ohms

I'm with Colin..... loose connection somewhere from yellow to regulator and beyond (probably on the brown wire) and into the bullet connectors in the hesdset.
CHRIS in MARGATE

Postby HxPaul » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:51 am

My readings were all taken with the stator off the scooter and on the bench,so it wont be a trapped wire.I removed the stator from the scooter because of the occasional flickering and fitted another stator.This worked ok which led me to think that there was something amiss with the lighting coils on the original one.Thanks for all your help,it looks like I'll keep this stator for spares because the LT coil and pickup both work ok.

Paul.
HxPaul

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3