LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Possible Clutch Problem

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Possible Clutch Problem

Postby steve_lawrence » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Had an engine rebuild last winter which included a gearbox repair. It was done by a reputable engine builder/tuner who would ring me up if he found anything that he thought should be replaced while he had the engine in bits. The clutch was thought to be OK.
Recently rode to the Isle of Wight and back (400 miles) with absolutely no problems. Due to holidays, the scooter has been stored in the garage since. Last night I started it up to go to a club meet and when I put it in gear it lurched forward and stalled, even with the clutch pulled in. After 3 or 4 times of doing this it settled down and behaved "normally". I've owned this scooter for several years and its never done this before, so I was wondering what could have caused it and if there is a possible clutch problem in the making.
Any thoughts?

Steve
steve_lawrence

Re: Possible Clutch Problem

Postby Oberon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi How long has it been since last used? Might just be a sticky cluch and free of if used . :D
Oberon

Postby Scooterlam » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Check your oil , see if you have any or if its changed colour.an
Scooterlam

Postby steve_lawrence » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:30 am

Thanks for replies so far. It was standing for 4 weeks since it's last use. Gave it a complete service before the IOW including an oil change. I haven't checked the oil but there's no leak on the garage floor and it's definitely not burning it. Will check the level over the weekend.
steve_lawrence

Postby drivera » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:38 am

mine does it all the time if I don't ride it for a while its just sticky clutch plates, new clutch corks and a clean up of the plates would sort it , or just live with it :)
drivera

Postby St George » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Mine does it as well when I first start it after a week or two. Many English bikes I have had over the years do it as well. I used to kick it over with the clutch pulled in. Nothing to worry about !! ( I hope )
St George

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3