LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

New brake binding

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

New brake binding

Postby lou » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:34 pm

Hi all … just fitted a bran new front disc kit plus master cylinder from lambretta upgrades bought a while ago for project .
After fitting so many issue with binding generally not fitting , I’ve opened up gap on bracket so it fits over fork links better
And now the drum links fit nicely in brake slot .
But it still binds !!! Taken pins out bit of wet and dry , Cooper slip back in no change. Is it just vietnamese crap that will never work !.

Any help be appreciated.
lou

Re: New brake binding

Postby shane BBoys » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:21 am

ask Lee Chiggy for some advise.
shane BBoys

Postby ULC Soulagent » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:49 pm

shane BBoys wrote:ask Lee Chiggy for some advise.

+1
ULC Soulagent

Postby lou » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:08 pm

shane BBoys wrote:ask Lee Chiggy for some advise.

Any advice welcome .. who’s Lee Chiggy .
lou

Postby nickw » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:18 pm

He is the fella that runs Lambretta Upgrades.
His nickname is Chiggy and I think his full name is Lee Chambers, see public info below from their shop
www.Lambrettaupgrades.co.uk SHOP: 01472 362549 or: 07915394255 email: chiggy.chambers@sky.com
nickw

Postby lou » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:43 am

So not a common problem then , anyone come across with these drum link outboard disc brakes ?
lou

Postby Knowledge » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:12 pm

Lou,

Did you contact Chiggy? Is the problem resolved?

It is some months between posts on this thread.
Knowledge

Postby nickw » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:11 pm

Lol Martin. Post was first written 19 October 2021. It's only the 21st today unless I've missed something :lol:
nickw

Postby lou » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:17 pm

Knowledge wrote:Lou,

Did you contact Chiggy? Is the problem resolved?

It is some months between posts on this thread.

It’s been awhile since I bought it, I did originally contact lambretta upgrades ,, told me to check few things over ,ie check disc on piece glass, leaver wasn’t touching pin on release etc, tbh didn’t have much time .. hoping for just a fit be done with it,haven’t got to much time to keep fettling .. sort of stuck with it at present.
lou

Postby Leotech » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:38 am

It's fairly common for them to bind a little especially the anti dive type. I found with those to assemble it loosely, keep spinning the wheel as you assemble the various bits and see if the wheel starts to bind at any one stage, usually if something is out of line.

Ride it for a bit and bed the pads in and see if it gets any better.

Also push the pistons back fully in the calliper and pump them out again, repeat that a few times. Sometimes the pistons are a bit sticky and don't spring back as far as they should after you pull the brake lever especially if its been sitting a while and not used.

Sometimes the lever is holding a small amount of pressure onto the master cylinder without you pulling it, the tiny bit of pressure can cause the brake to not release fully. Trim a small amount off the lever until there is a slight bit of play between it and the piston in the master cylinder. You can test this by removing the lever completely and seeing if the wheel spins any more freely.
Leotech

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3