LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Drive side seal test

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Drive side seal test

Postby jonno » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:31 pm

Am I right in remembering that to test if the drive side seal has gone you put a cloth over the exhaust and it should stop if every thing's ok?Lashed up a leak test but a couple of leaks put the kaibosh on that method,them being in some welding.There is no other explanation for loss of gearbox oil is there?Rear hub seal is ok.
jonno

Re: Drive side seal test

Postby torquewrench » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:37 pm

The drive side seal failures I have seen have been accompanied by clouds of white smoke coming out of the exhaust.
torquewrench

Postby jonno » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:10 pm

Some peeps have said that in the past but checked oil level and ok.I use 4% fully synth,and when warmed up smoke isnt excessive
jonno

Postby Knowledge » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Jonno,

It is usually a distinctive white smoke, and plenty of it, to the point that your mates would prefer that you rode at the back.

What symptoms are you trying to eradicate?

Martin
Knowledge

Postby coaster » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Knowledge wrote:Jonno,

It is usually a distinctive white smoke, and plenty of it, to the point that your mates would prefer that you rode at the back.

It doesn't smell like 2 stroke oil either...in fact it tends to stink :?
coaster

Postby jonno » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi knowledge,just trying to find out where half my gearbox oil went.Dont want to strip it down till end of sprint season.Sure I put right amount in pretty ocd about that.Think Ill refill see how it goes.Ill block the exhaust to test it ;)
jonno

Postby Mel K » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:13 am

A quick covering of your exhaust with your hand is ok for checking an exhaust leak but I wouldn't block the exhaust to check for oil seal leaks , the build up of pressure you'd create has to go somewhere and you could end up blowing an oil seal in the process . Just my thoughts on the subject .
Mel K

Postby Norfolk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:36 pm

When my drive side seal failed symptoms were engine ran just as expected for approx 5 miles , then god help anyone following me white smoke in excess from the exhaust was a understatement ! The gearbox was found to be completely devoid of any oil! Tried an aftermarket seal expander additive to cure the problem which was a waste of time ! !
Norfolk

Postby Digger » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:55 am

Yes indeed - you simply can not mistake a drive side oil seal failure smoke cloud for anything else. :D
Digger

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3