LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

TV 175 series 3

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

TV 175 series 3

Postby lambrettatastic » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:21 pm

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make my lights a bit brighter on my tv. The thing is it is 100% original!and I want it to stay that way visually???so no 12v electronic kits,no dc conversions etc. can you get led rear light lamps that work with 6v? And even an led speedo lamp ? Would this free up a little more power for the headlight?
Any help or suggestions greatly received now it's getting a bit dark....
lambrettatastic

Re: TV 175 series 3

Postby Digger » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:09 pm

Isn't it DC already? :shock:
Digger

Postby Rich Oswald » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Yes you can get 6v led's
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby lambrettatastic » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:55 pm

yes digger you are correct.... i meant i didn't want to go 12v d.c....
lambrettatastic

Postby Digger » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:11 pm

lambrettatastic wrote:yes digger you are correct.... i meant i didn't want to go 12v d.c....

Ok I'd check wiring etc first, earths, contacts and the like.

Mine is original too and lighting is very good (for a Lambretta.) ;)
Digger

Postby lofty » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:32 pm

re-magnetise the flywheel?
lofty

Postby Knowledge » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Re-magnetising the flywheel would be a good idea. I think Kegra offer this service, but I'm sure others do too.

There are some very small 12v DC regulators that might fit within your original 6vDC regulator/rectifier housing. The stator could be re-wired like a wassel conversion and the power fed into the small 12v DC regulator housed within the hollowed-out original plastic case. The points could remain, leaving the original HT coil in position and functioning. The original style battery (but 12v) could be used too.

It would be an interesting conversion. 12v in a 6v stylee.
Knowledge

Postby lambrettatastic » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:51 pm

thanks for the info ...the flywheel has been re magnetised already....and while the lights aren't terrible,they aren't up to the standards of my last two scooters that i converted to the 12v dc. i like the idea of the hidden 12v dc conversion,and if i did more night time riding i think that would be the way to go,but at the moment that is too much change as the scooter is that original ,including the battery.
lambrettatastic

Postby Captain Pugwash » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:27 pm

You could fit LED lights, but your main beam is or should be ac and too little current drawn from the back light could cause the headlight to blow.

So you could try to work out the maximum wattage that your stator actually puts out at given RPM's then pick the most suitable wattage bulbs (front and back) so that they max out the potential of your stator. Fitting bulbs that exceed the maximum wattage will leave the lights duller than they could be.

This is from the Vespa smallframe forum and shows a way of working out the wattage produced by a stator.

http://vespasmallframeforum.proboards.c ... wnload/905
Captain Pugwash

Postby mick094m » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:43 am

You can convert your points condenser stator to 12 DC , this was the "original" conversion , before electronic stators, it just involves replacing two of the coils, I don't remember which ones but I am sure there is a system listed somewhere, then you need to get hold of an old rectifier ( the oblong one ) and remove all the innards and replace with one you can find on the internet, if you want anymore details I think it is touched on in the performance and tuning guide. I still have mine when I went over to the wassel 12 volt DC system and could provide photographs if required
mick094m

Postby tv175lambretta » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:14 am

The lights will be bright and steady enough on 6v if you could guarantee getting 6volts at the bulb. Because you are running half the voltage of 12v systems, you need twice the current (amps) to achieve the same power (wattage) bulb. And twice the current means twice the voltage drop through bad connections. So good connections are doubly important on 6v systems. I hard wire the lights earth ie run an additional earth wire from the lights to the engine earth point, rather than relying on dodgy frame connections through greasy bearings. Check voltage at bulb with a multimeter and all other connections for voltage drops.
tv175lambretta

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3