LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Painting over chrome

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Painting over chrome

Postby scooterstu » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi guys, I'm not good at the do's and dont's of this painting lark but would i be able to simply rub down some chrome forks and a front hub and then repaint them white? Not sure if it can be done with them being chromed.
scooterstu

Re: Painting over chrome

Postby monument7 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:13 pm

no reason why not as long as primer has a good key on the chrome, it's just another metal
monument7

Postby St George » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:24 pm

I asked my sprayer about this subject of painting over rubbed down chrome. He said it will lift don't waste money. He has been in the game 40 years and restores vintage cars.
St George

Postby Scooter Paul » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:51 pm

I haven't done it but as a thought why not have them powder coated?

Paul
Scooter Paul

Postby sunrisemac » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:46 pm

I am in the business of restoring historic race cars and we never paint over chrome, it is so hard you cant get any kind of key for paint and it lifts off too easily. I had all the bits that were chromed on my wreck of a gp stripped off then painted, the ally bits i spent ages with a diamond file removing chrome so as not to subject them to nasty substances that would 'disappear' the metal.
sunrisemac

Postby scooterstu » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks guys. Looks like ill get them both stripped or try and buy new then.
scooterstu

Postby xenia1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:31 am

It'll work as long as its keyed properly. The wheels on a Tv1 are half paint over chrome. What i did was mask with fine line tape and then used a red scotchbrite to matt the surface before they were etch primed and top coated. Been done 7 years and still as good as the day they were done. As ever its all in the prep..
xenia1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3