LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

stepped studs

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

stepped studs

Postby Scooterlam » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:28 pm

Are m6/m7 studs available, if so is it possible to use them in the chain case rather than timeserts.
thinking of this on the zaurst mount.
Scooterlam

Re: stepped studs

Postby Shaun » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Taking bottom exhaust stud hole out to 7mm will only weaken the alloy around it as it will be thinner.
Whats wrong with a normal helicoil that will put the M6 thread back in leaving surrounding alloy as thick as it should be??
Shaun

Postby Scooterlam » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:33 pm

To fit a helicoil I would have to take the hole out to 7mm, then fill it with a helicoil and a stud,
My logic is I would have more stud thread surface in comtact.
Scooterlam

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:54 am

Stud, 8/6mm x 42mm, stepped repair stud for crankcase side tail pipe, stainless steel, MB

A really simple idea from Mark Broadhurst

This Stainless Steel steppped stud can repair the lower exhaust tailpipe thread that usually pulls outs.

Most people dont have a Heicoil or Timesert kit as they are expensive, this is a cheaper repair.

All you need is a drill, 6.5 or 7mm drill bit and a 8 x 1.25mm tap which most have or can borrow.

Drill out the hole, tap down to slightly shorter than the measurement of the 8mm end and screw in the stud by locking two 6mm nuts together, tap it a bit at a t time so when its home tight the flat edge is flush with the gasket face.

On final fitting use loctite, a cheap quality method of repairing old threads.

http://www.lambrettaspares.com/spares/s ... p0278.html

I personally think 8mm is to bit and would go 7mm but hey if the man says ......
gaz_powell

Postby drivera » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:06 pm

Same principle as Gaz has mentioned but Beedspeed sell 6mm stepped to 7mm studs , I've used a few on peoples crankcases and they are ok and don't need as big a hole as an 8mm stud :)
drivera

Postby gaz_powell » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:52 pm

gaz_powell

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3