LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Series 3 LI Special rear hub problems updated -help!

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Series 3 LI Special rear hub problems updated -help!

Postby Rich Oswald » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:48 am

skinnerwill wrote:i posted about this quite a while ago and named supplier (same). post was removed and i got told off, which i suppose is correct, but people need to know about these problems especially if safety issues could be involved. but they continue to be on market

I can't see where the supplier was actually named. Correct me if I am wrong. Scootopia was mentioned but not confirmed but you are correct, dealer problems should be taken up with the dealer and not named on here.

Rich'
Rich Oswald

Location: Wiseman From The East (East Of The Pennines That Is)

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:08 pm

Rich Oswald wrote:
I can't see where the supplier was actually named. Correct me if I am wrong. Scootopia was mentioned but not confirmed but you are correct, dealer problems should be taken up with the dealer and not named on here.

Rich'

In an ideal world, that's a great principle, but safety issues must surely cut through that protocol. I doubt any of us want a scenario that results in mud slinging but this is 'our club' & dealers presumably make a living from selling us their products.

Personally, having had a brand new disc cable snap shortly after fitting, I informed the dealer & posted on this Forum. I would have no hesitation in doing so again.... :D
Warkton Tornado No.1

Postby bookertmgs1 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:12 pm

Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:
Rich Oswald wrote:

Rich'

In an ideal world, that's a great principle, but safety issues must surely cut through that protocol. I doubt any of us want a scenario that results in mud slinging but this is 'our club' & dealers presumably make a living from selling us their products.

Personally, having had a brand new disc cable snap shortly after fitting, I informed the dealer & posted on this Forum. I would have no hesitation in doing so again.... :D

Its a fine line & I can see from both sides - but I agree that this is a members club that should be protecting members not dealers. Unsafe parts should be flagged up & this hub issue falls under that banner.

Where I flip to the otherside of the argument - is that it opens up to 2nd hand opinions and reports which are based on a chat after 8 pints of Guinness. My mate says XYZ stators are shit - his failed after 3 miles. What he doesn't say is that he boiught it used off ebay, had it rattling round his bag as a spare for 5 years and then dropped it on the driveway before he fit it using a lump hammer.
bookertmgs1

Postby Warkton Tornado No.1 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:32 pm

bookertmgs1 wrote:
Warkton Tornado No.1 wrote:
Rich Oswald wrote:

Rich'

Its a fine line & I can see from both sides - but I agree that this is a members club that should be protecting members not dealers. Unsafe parts should be flagged up & this hub issue falls under that banner.

Where I flip to the otherside of the argument - is that it opens up to 2nd hand opinions and reports which are based on a chat after 8 pints of Guinness. My mate says XYZ stators are shit - his failed after 3 miles. What he doesn't say is that he boiught it used off ebay, had it rattling round his bag as a spare for 5 years and then dropped it on the driveway before he fit it using a lump hammer.

I agree with that ethos & believe that most of us do. I particularly agree that balance is often hard to achieve if some of the work carried out on Lambrettas by amateurs & professionals alike that I have witnessed is anything to go by.

Sometimes, the name of the dealer/manufacturer must unavoidably be mentioned & it really surprises me when in such cases, that the responsible party doesn't choose to comment on this here Forum :?: in the case of the snapped disc brake cable, the dealer did so in an apologetic manner, which is bound to foster goodwill IMHO. As the result of this thread, if I were selling rear hubs, I'd ensure that fitting instructions were included detailing the essential requirement to lap the hub to the cone, because it's hardly the mistake of the buyer if they are unaware, surely?

However, examples of other products failing, such as poor quality rear hubs, rear hub bearings with plastic cages popping out, remade cush drive bolts that are too long with the consequence of 'bottoming out' & the huge quantity of electronic ignitions that fail within a short period of time have, as far as I am aware, never been mentioned by the sellers on this Forum. An easy, 'double edged sword' example springs to mind. There is an excellent fuel tap available for around a tenner nowadays. Now, me being 'old school' I always dismantle them, just as I do with carburettors etc. Personally, I've never found anything wrong with those that I've had, but some buyers found that the valve face rubber was misplaced - after fitting them unchecked. How easy would it have been for the manufacturer to publicly acknowledge such a gremlin?

From that, it appears reasonable to conclude that such sellers could really care less....
Warkton Tornado No.1

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3