LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Made side panel battery tray

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Re: Made side panel battery tray

Postby shane BBoys » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:38 pm

roli150lam wrote:how many alloy ones failed? i've only ever seen a photo of one that had failed...allegedly.imo the photo didn't look at all geniune.
i have one of the original alloy carriers,the type with the thumbscrew that makez for easy removal.i'v had it fitted for several years now.never had a problem with it.

Hi.
I have made contact with the guy who made the type you have described, I am waiting on him getting back in tough with me his at least will carry a alarm battery where as the cam lam 1 only fits their small 1 which when I have rigged it up will not light up the spot light that it is intended for; i have contacted them and waiting for a response. The spot light works with the alarm battery with the same wiring configuration!

Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby roli150lam » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:32 pm

hi,good luck,i hope you get a reply.
roli150lam

Postby shane BBoys » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:27 pm

Sorry for the delay.
they said that my lamp needs to be LED which it is, my plan is to hook everything up including the 4 pin regulator and try running the bike and then trying the light? if this doesn't work then plan B!

Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby shane BBoys » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:45 am

Well.
Here I am again, so it did not work using the battery supplied so back to plan A not B, I am going to use a 12V 7.2ah gel battery which was my initial purchase for the spot light.

Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby coaster » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:35 pm

shane BBoys wrote:Well.
Here I am again, so it did not work using the battery supplied so back to plan A not B, I am going to use a 12V 7.2ah gel battery which was my initial purchase for the spot light.

Cheers Shane.

What do you mean by it not working, did the battery not hold charge for long?

The problem with the 5 pin regulator is that it only provides enough current to trile charge the battery, electricity tricles in but gushes out when you connect a load. I have had several full DC converions over the years and even they struggle to charge a battery s well as powering the lights. The type of riding you do is a major factor, town riding will result in little or no chrging if the headlight is on at anything much below 45 ish mph :( Dual carriageways are ok though, on long trips I turn my headlights off on long dual carriage ways to give the battery a chance to recover.
coaster

Postby roli150lam » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:40 am

there is a small business in Saxilby,Lincs.they make quality led bulbs for classic cars&bikes.they do ba21d fit.well worth a look.
classic dynamo&regulator conversions.
roli150lam

Postby shane BBoys » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:17 pm

coaster wrote:
shane BBoys wrote:Well.

Cheers Shane.

What do you mean by it not working, did the battery not hold charge for long?

The problem with the 5 pin regulator is that it only provides enough current to trile charge the battery, electricity tricles in but gushes out when you connect a load. I have had several full DC converions over the years and even they struggle to charge a battery s well as powering the lights. The type of riding you do is a major factor, town riding will result in little or no chrging if the headlight is on at anything much below 45 ish mph :( Dual carriageways are ok though, on long trips I turn my headlights off on long dual carriage ways to give the battery a chance to recover.

Hi.
I fully charged the battery ( not the 12v 7amh this works fine ) the week before trying it out, it is a 4 pin regulator due to my old Indian type ignition. a battery box is being made as I type for the 7amh battery.

Cheer Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby shane BBoys » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:20 pm

roli150lam wrote:there is a small business in Saxilby,Lincs.they make quality led bulbs for classic cars&bikes.they do ba21d fit.well worth a look.
classic dynamo&regulator conversions.

It is more than likely this is where I got mine from, I have 2 Lucas spots on my Spanish El Toro and they work off a tiny 12v battery that I hooked up as a trial.

Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby roli150lam » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:29 pm

who is making the battery box?
roli150lam

Postby roli150lam » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:31 pm

who is making the battery box for you?
roli150lam

Postby L111amo » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:34 pm

Sorry to butt inb but what is the name of the place that does the bulbs , cheers liam
L111amo

Postby roli150lam » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:12 pm

classic dynamo&regulator conversions
roli150lam

Postby shane BBoys » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 am

roli150lam wrote:who is making the battery box?

You know you cannot advertise on here, looking at where you are from I am guessing you may know him :D
shane BBoys

Postby roli150lam » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:36 pm

no i don't know him.never been to his shop never bought anything from him.
might be a better option than buying chinese made led bulbs tho.
roli150lam

Postby L111amo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:20 am

Thanks for that
L111amo

Postby shane BBoys » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:22 pm

So here's a weird 1 I was having a tidy up in the garage and thought I would try the smaller battery on my Spanish S2 El Toro where I have rigged up 2 x Lucas spots ready to run off some sort of battery as I'm leaving this 6v for now and it is a long term project, anyhow both have LED lamps no switch as yet and not fuses and they both lit up?

Very Baffled Shane.
shane BBoys

Previous

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3