LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Made side panel battery tray

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Made side panel battery tray

Postby Lord-Spanner » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:03 am

battery tray 1.jpg
Well after being let down AGAIN (seems to be a common occurrence) And wanting to run a full 12v DC system without the use of a standard battery tray, carb and big oil tech fuel tank in the way, I made one myself to suit my needs, just need to check the side panel fits on ok with battery in place and lob some paint at it :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lord-Spanner

Re: Made side panel battery tray

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:26 pm

Nice job indeed
ULC Soulagent

Postby Lord-Spanner » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:03 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:Nice job indeed

Thanks, not a bad effort on my part even if I do say so :shock: :lol:
Lord-Spanner

Postby dickie » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:31 am

That's a nice job, but I'd be careful about how much load you put through those welds.

The load is a cantilever and subject to quite a lot of vibration so could fatigue.

I seem to remember a chap selling them on facearse and some of them failing that way.

A lithium iron battery is MUCH lighter than lead acid, so obviously reduces likelihood of failure quite a bit.

Is it stainless or aluminium? I can't tell from the photo with my failing eyesight :lol:
dickie

Postby Lord-Spanner » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:08 am

dickie wrote:That's a nice job, but I'd be careful about how much load you put through those welds.

The load is a cantilever and subject to quite a lot of vibration so could fatigue.

I seem to remember a chap selling them on facearse and some of them failing that way.

A lithium iron battery is MUCH lighter than lead acid, so obviously reduces likelihood of failure quite a bit.

Is it stainless or aluminium? I can't tell from the photo with my failing eyesight :lol:

Thanks, Yes I know what your saying about vibes and battery weight but fingers crossed all of that has been taken into account that's why I went with an ultra light battery (Shorai LFX09L2-BS12 Lithium Iron 0.57 kg) the main weld was done by a pro welder as my pigeon shit welding just wasn't going to cut it lol and seamed all the way round the joint, the material is 3mm box section steel of various section sizes (but all 3mm thick) to get the 90 degree bends in the right places as I couldn't bend it, hence the holes in it to lighten it too, and the attaching bracket is all in one and kind of wraps around and fits snugly top and side against the strut, so fingers crossed it should be bomb proof.
Lord-Spanner

Postby citydaz » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:53 pm

How will you secure the battery inside the tray?
Some sort of strap?
citydaz

Postby Lord-Spanner » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:32 pm

citydaz wrote:How will you secure the battery inside the tray?
Some sort of strap?

Yes, just a simple velcro strap that goes around the holder and the battery, the end goes through a metal loop and attaches back on it self, so stays nice and tight.
Lord-Spanner

Postby citydaz » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:02 pm

Very nice design.
Well done.
citydaz

Postby Fast n Furious » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:12 pm

A bit of velcro on the bottom of the tray and battery will also help stop the battery chattering about in the tray. :idea:
Fast n Furious

Postby Lord-Spanner » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:53 am

citydaz wrote:Very nice design.
Well done.

Thanks CD :mrgreen:
Lord-Spanner

Postby Lord-Spanner » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:59 am

Fast n Furious wrote:A bit of velcro on the bottom of the tray and battery will also help stop the battery chattering about in the tray. :idea:

Yes good plan F&F but what came with the battery is lots of double sided sticky dense sponge (of various thicknesses and sizes so it can be packed out tightly with that, then strapped down :mrgreen:
Lord-Spanner

Postby Fast n Furious » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:49 am

;)
Fast n Furious

Postby GoonerKev » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:50 pm

Looks great ;)
GoonerKev

Postby Lord-Spanner » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:40 pm

GoonerKev wrote:Looks great ;)

Cheers Kev 8-)
Lord-Spanner

Postby shane BBoys » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:59 pm

Hi.
Did this work for you, what size battery did you use do you have a sketch that could be used or would you be up for making another?

Mucho Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby Lord-Spanner » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:43 am

Sorry for the late reply, i will drop another post on here later when im home and not at work
Lord-Spanner

Postby Lord-Spanner » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:31 pm

shane BBoys wrote:Hi.
Did this work for you, what size battery did you use do you have a sketch that could be used or would you be up for making another?

Mucho Shane.

Yes it's worked very well, the battery is a Shorai LFX09L2-BS12 Lithium Iron 0.57 kg, very light and very small and very expensive rather than a very heavy cheap lead acid jobbie, what I did was ordered a couple of pieces of 3mm steel box section then kind of made it up as I went along, cut it with a thin bladed angle grinder keeping the bends of the box section as part of the structure as I knew I could not bend it as neat with a hammer and vice or even weld it at 90 deg, I welded the smaller end, then took it somewhere to have the important end with mounting bracket welded on properly, as it was quite heavy I drilled holes in it to lighten it up but keep the strength, then I painted it the same colour as the frame and I must say I'm very happy with my efforts, and I can get my rear wheel off without the need to take the battery tray off, it's tight but it does come off, anyone could make one it just takes a little thought and patience, the basic Idea came from the alloy one that fails, like I say I made it up as I went along so no sketches were made, if you want any more info please ask :mrgreen:
Lord-Spanner

Postby shane BBoys » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have ordered a similar SS one from Cam Lam and there battery that goes with it I'm hoping this can be trickle charged form a 4 pin regulator via the stator, it is only for 1 spot light this is on my Jet.

I have a Shorai in my RTYPE S2 which runs the spot and motorcycle horn, I have 2 off these as they apparently don't like to be trickle charged so hopefully when need it can be swapped out easily it just takes up too much room so I might think again if the 1 on the Jet turns out to be a better way although I have a 2 litre spare fuel can carrier in the only place I could put a battery.

Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby Lord-Spanner » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:28 pm

shane BBoys wrote:Thanks for the reply. I have ordered a similar SS one from Cam Lam and there battery that goes with it I'm hoping this can be trickle charged form a 4 pin regulator via the stator, it is only for 1 spot light this is on my Jet.

I have a Shorai in my RTYPE S2 which runs the spot and motorcycle horn, I have 2 off these as they apparently don't like to be trickle charged so hopefully when need it can be swapped out easily it just takes up too much room so I might think again if the 1 on the Jet turns out to be a better way although I have a 2 litre spare fuel can carrier in the only place I could put a battery.

Cheers Shane.

No bother, that's what mine is for, all my lighting is led so a low drain on the battery hopefully but I'm hoping my stator which I converted to full DC will power the lighting but should it conk out I have back up of the battery to power the lights, Shorai sell battery chargers and I'm sure you can leave them plugged in to trickle charge them.
Hope the camlam one works for you ok :mrgreen:
Lord-Spanner

Postby roli150lam » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:46 pm

how many alloy ones failed? i've only ever seen a photo of one that had failed...allegedly.imo the photo didn't look at all geniune.
i have one of the original alloy carriers,the type with the thumbscrew that makez for easy removal.i'v had it fitted for several years now.never had a problem with it.
roli150lam

Next

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3