LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Kickstart not engaging

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Kickstart not engaging

Postby Westpole » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:13 pm

I am hoping some of you clever folk can give me a few pointers on the next steps….
so I have been restoring an LIS150. Engine components are stock and all new - including the kickstart shaft and ancillary bits as it was worn. When I dry fitted it everything seemed fine and engaging. Inevitably, a year down the line I finally put it all back together and what do I find: the kickstart barely engages with the gear - maybe one in 10 trys if I am lucky. My plea is what is the likely problem? Any technical advice is very much appreciated. Cheers.
Westpole

Re: Kickstart not engaging

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:31 pm

Clutch cable too tight, kickstart shaft has moved (has circlip on the outside cone off?) and is catching on the clutch, most of the teeth on first gear have sheered off.

That last one is unlikely. Try loosening off your cable first.
Storkfoot

Postby Westpole » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:18 pm

Many thanks for the reply. Circlip is fine. I shall try the cable.
Westpole

Postby Westpole » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:20 pm

Sorry, pressed too soon! I did wonder about the clutch as the engine has been left on a bench for a year with no oil, save for the amount put on the corks. Made me think if they might have got stuck?? Thanks again, much appreciated.
Westpole

Postby Westpole » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:59 pm

So… disconnected the clutch cable and still nothing happened. Whipped the chaincase off and low and behold, the shaft piston was stuck in the chamber. Clearly I didn’t fully depress the piston when rebuilding it as I would have noticed it sticking. Upon measurement the piston has different tolerance at the bottom compared to top. A bit of work with 1500grit seems to done the trick. Many thanks for the tips.
Westpole

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3