LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

S2 Steering Head Bearings

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

S2 Steering Head Bearings

Postby srx600 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:44 am

I am looking to replace my steering head bearings. Searching through the forum a couple of posts have mentioned the grooves in the bearing cups of some replacement bearing sets are not deep enough. I dont particularly want to go down the the taper roller route. Can anyone recommend where to buy a good original type bearing set ?
srx600

Re: S2 Steering Head Bearings

Postby ULC Soulagent » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:22 pm

Mb or scootopia sell decent headstock bearings n cups
ULC Soulagent

Postby srx600 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:36 pm

ULC Soulagent wrote:Mb or scootopia sell decent headstock bearings n cups

Cheers I have ordered a set.
srx600

Postby srx600 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:41 am

What are peoples views on removing the ball bearing cages and increasing the number of balls in the upper and lower races. I have seen a couple of references to this and I can see it would help to reduce brinelling of the races, but does it actually improve the feel of the steering ?
srx600

Postby nickw » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:09 pm

I started removing the cages a few years ago when my quest for improvement in just about every area was being sought. I didn't notice any huge improvement. I still remove the cages in my touring lambretta but not on others. It is not something I do that often but had forks out a year ago and changed bearings as matter of routine. It is a bit fiddly keeping the balls on the ring. Never found any issues with brinelling of the races in any of the scoots I have changed steering bearings on. Good luck with your decision
nickw

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3