LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

S3 Lighting Challenge

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

S3 Lighting Challenge

Postby Westpole » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:49 pm

Evening everyone - Happy New Year!
Need some advice/pointers on the above.

I’m rebuilding a golden special and onto the electricals. It’s a 12v AC electronic ignition. Headlight (dip and dazzle) both work as does speedo light and rear light and brake.

The only one not obeying me is the festoon “parking” bulb. I have tried two new bulbs with no joy. It’s driving me mad!

Anyone got any ideas/prompts for investigation?? Many thanks in advance of any replies.
Westpole

Re: S3 Lighting Challenge

Postby missing lynx » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:04 pm

Was your model originally 6v dc? With AC it won't be a parking light first kick to the left on the key (if originally dc) it will be side lights second kick right. As you've got power going into the ignition it's either a brake in the yellow wire coming from the ignition or a bad earth. Also If you've got a DC key ignition with a spare purple wire connect that to the brown wires
missing lynx

Postby Westpole » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:07 pm

Many thanks for this info. Very helpful. Yes, it was originally 6V. My ignition key (new) doesn’t turn to the left : it’s just three clicks to the right (1st being “on”, 2nd (what I assumed was parking) and 3rd, main bulb). I was wondering if the switch might be faulty but I will check your suggestions first. Cheers.
Westpole

Postby missing lynx » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:44 pm

To check that run a wire from the brown on the loom to the where the yellow wire goes into the block on the back of the light, if it then lights it probably is the ignition switch if not I would suspect the earth on the other end of the bulb. BTW happy New year to you too
missing lynx

Postby Westpole » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:15 pm

Hi. So I tried the wire from the brown to the yellow and hey presto, the parking light illuminates! To be on the safe side I then replaced the ignition switch with a spare (new) one and guess what, the parking light doesn’t light up. I am now thinking I have made an error in the wiring. Any ideas what the purple wire does?? I haven’t got anything “in the same bed”…………….thoughts..??
Cheers everyone - sorry for being a dork.
Westpole

Postby missing lynx » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:59 pm

Westpole wrote:Hi. So I tried the wire from the brown to the yellow and hey presto, the parking light illuminates! To be on the safe side I then replaced the ignition switch with a spare (new) one and guess what, the parking light doesn’t light up. I am now thinking I have made an error in the wiring. Any ideas what the purple wire does?? I haven’t got anything “in the same bed”…………….thoughts..??
Cheers everyone - sorry for being a dork.

If the purples from the ignition switch connect it to the browns
missing lynx

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3