LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Is this Horn AC or DC?

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Is this Horn AC or DC?

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:32 pm

I bought this horn ages ago on the presumption that it was DC. Now I am sorting out the wiring (everything else now works as it should), I can’t get anything beyond a “click” from this. I have tried an old 6v AC horn that is the only other horn I have knocking around and I get the same click.

Can you tell visually whether a horn is DC please?

PS. The horn isn’t touching the frame.
Storkfoot

Re: Is this Horn AC or DC?

Postby TurboTrev » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:34 pm

The original non battery ones that I have seen look like yours. Battery ones tend to have a small recessed adjusting screw in the front centre. The casa remade dc one has a resess but no screw. https://www.riminilambrettacentre.com/e ... -1968.html
TurboTrev

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:49 pm

TurboTrev wrote:The original non battery ones that I have seen look like yours. Battery ones tend to have a small recessed adjusting screw in the front centre. The casa remade dc one has a resess but no screw. :) https://www.riminilambrettacentre.com/e ... -1968.html

Thanks for that. I was wondering whether that was the case. I’ll order a DC one now.

At least I know it’s not my ham fisted electrics :)
Storkfoot

Postby dickie » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:47 am

I've used cheap Indian DC ones and they're fine. Although the mounting holes are a little out of position, it's nothing a small round file/dremmel can't rectify.
dickie

Postby Leotech » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:05 pm

In practice AC or DC doesn't really seem to matter, both types of horn work on AC or DC (badly)
Leotech

Postby Storkfoot » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:46 pm

I have ordered a DC one. I’ll report back if it works or whether my electrical connections are wrong, not for the first time :)
Storkfoot

Postby roli150lam » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:39 am

i bought a dc horn from disci dez,looks much the same as original.expensive but worth it imo.+ the 2 fixing holes line up.
roli150lam

Postby shane BBoys » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:11 pm

How did you get on with the horn?
I fitted 1 to my series 2 rat only because i have fitted a Lucas spot light an a battery to feed it so i hooked up the horn from that 100% better horn.

Cheers Shane.
shane BBoys

Postby Storkfoot » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:06 pm

Well, I have had a proper beep beep out of it. But, my electrics are playing up so it’s dead now :D

I need to go through all my earths and connections again over the weekend.
Storkfoot

Postby dickie » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:51 pm

shane BBoys wrote:How did you get on with the horn?
I fitted 1 to my series 2 rat only because i have fitted a Lucas spot light an a battery to feed it so i hooked up the horn from that 100% better horn.

Cheers Shane.

I've had DC horns on my last 4 and they're way better than AC. That said, I sort of miss the ridiculous quack quack and rpm related frequency.
dickie

Postby vegansydney » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:38 pm

Italian DC horns usually have C.C. imprinted on the rim along with the brand GPM, CEV etc...and IGM /DGM number and are noticeably larger than the AC ones. The AC horns sometimes have C.A. (corrente alternata) imprinted on them.
vegansydney

Postby Storkfoot » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:54 am

Storkfoot wrote:Well, I have had a proper beep beep out of it. But, my electrics are playing up so it’s dead now :D

I need to go through all my earths and connections again over the weekend.

Poor earth off rectifier. Horn, which is a Casa DC one, works perfectly now. Thanks, everyone.
Storkfoot

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3