LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Dry build

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Dry build

Postby gizmo » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:07 pm

Don't you just love a dry build. 3 GP horncastings. One Indian, one Italian and one unsure of. All fit pretty well to legshields. That's good. Now try grill. File out. All got gaps but all in different positions on each. Hate gaps, and they are always notable. Might have filled a tadge too much on first attempt. At least I've two more chances :D
gizmo

Re: Dry build

Postby vegansydney » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:12 am

Dry building and body work are my absolute least favourite things to do on a rebuild / restoration. Between rubbers, gaskets and various aftermarket parts with differing levels of quality control, mismatched 50+ year old Innocenti parts and frame struts that have seen better days, it can be a complete nightmare. Kudos for having the patience to persevere. I thoroughly enjoy seeing dry build pictures. Please post some pictures so we can offer helpful suggestions and commend you for attention to detail.
vegansydney

Postby gizmo » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:50 am

vegansydney wrote:Dry building and body work are my absolute least favourite things to do on a rebuild / restoration. Between rubbers, gaskets and various aftermarket parts with differing levels of quality control, mismatched 50+ year old Innocenti parts and frame struts that have seen better days, it can be a complete nightmare. Kudos for having the patience to persevere. I thoroughly enjoy seeing dry build pictures. Please post some pictures so we can offer helpful suggestions and commend you for attention to detail.
Not a great deal to see at present. I need to get the frame off to get jigged. It looks pretty good but I always like to be sure. I swore I would never do this again but I acquired a frame and sourcing rest separately. I call it an Innoeibersil. Testing but get there in end. I did the horngrill because it's off for engraving with a couple of other parts. Just to keep the interest going really. The Italian horncasting proved the best fit with a little filing I'm quite pleased with fit. The new Indian one was a bus ride out on all sides. The other one wasn't bad. Thinking it's early Indian. Only problem with one I'm going to use is threads are a bit slack on both top fixings. Maybe should have tried horncasting on legshields first but hey ho that's all part of the fun (isn't it ) :lol:
gizmo

Postby tim_mason » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:29 pm

I am in the process of dry building a project possibly a keeper, looked fairly in the parish , tried on an original pair of SX side panels ,back end out of square , fitted rear runner boards and it wasn't in the same field , a trip to John at J G Scooters good entertainment for a few hours and Bingo back on track , i then produced the forks for him to sort , he laughed and 1 hour later and all was sorted and straight , until i fitted them yesterday and OOPs wrong forks CR instead of NCR , it must be the Betablockers i take as i just laughed and got out the grinder and the Tig plant and 45 minutes later , Heh Presto sorted,

The moral of this thread is Always do a dry build and never believe the person you have instructed to build your scooter and do it yourself as most people dont do it .
tim_mason

Postby gizmo » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:36 pm

tim_mason wrote:I am in the process of dry building a project possibly a keeper, looked fairly in the parish , tried on an original pair of SX side panels ,back end out of square , fitted rear runner boards and it wasn't in the same field , a trip to John at J G Scooters good entertainment for a few hours and Bingo back on track , i then produced the forks for him to sort , he laughed and 1 hour later and all was sorted and straight , until i fitted them yesterday and OOPs wrong forks CR instead of NCR , it must be the Betablockers i take as i just laughed and got out the grinder and the Tig plant and 45 minutes later , Heh Presto sorted,

The moral of this thread is Always do a dry build and never believe the person you have instructed to build your scooter and do it yourself as most people dont do it .
Always best to do it yourself. More satisfaction. Interesting you took yours to J G Scooters for checking. I was thinking of going there so it's nice hearing positive feedback. Where I usually go has got a tad expensive but probably everywhere else has. I have known frames in original factory paint with no signs of accident damage been out. Probably didn't matter so much years ago with 6bhp but now if your building one it's a must. Hopefully forks should be straight as they are new casa ones.
gizmo

Postby gaz_powell » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:49 pm

John just done my mates italian GP frame and forks, hes very happy as both needed work.

Mines in a bit of a state, the dry build instantly showed a problem so glad i did it....
gaz_powell

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3