LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Rear sprocket and clutch spider rocking

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Rear sprocket and clutch spider rocking

Postby duncan1958 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:58 am

I have been looking for some information regarding the rear sprocket and the clutch spider when assembled it rocks from side to side and causes/remedies.
Replacing the bushes /bearings doesn't improve the situation.
When the engine is running you can hear it chattering and goes quite when the clutch is pulled in.
Would I be right to think that the rear sprocket is just worn where the bushes/ bearings go , or am I missing something else altogether?
duncan1958

Re: Rear sprocket and clutch spider rocking

Postby dickie » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:20 pm

If they are rocking together i.e. the spider and rear sprocket are moving as a single unit, then the spider must be rocking on the splines of the cluster/tree.

So maybe either the spider and/or cluster splines are worn? Never seen that, but you never know.

Try just fitting the spider without rear sprocket and see if you can rock it alone.

Just thinking out loud so forgive me if I'm spouting crap.
dickie

Postby duncan1958 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:26 pm

dickie wrote:If they are rocking together i.e. the spider and rear sprocket are moving as a single unit, then the spider must be rocking on the splines of the cluster/tree.

So maybe either the spider and/or cluster splines are worn? Never seen that, but you never know.

Try just fitting the spider without rear sprocket and see if you can rock it alone.

Just thinking out loud so forgive me if I'm spouting crap.

I will give that a try when I pull the clutch out in the near future and report my findings
duncan1958

Postby Storkfoot » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:33 am

MB do clutch spider shims to minimise the rocking of the sprocket. There will always be a very small amount of rocking of the rear sprocket though.
Storkfoot

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3