LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Selectors pawls

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Selectors pawls

Postby srx600 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:39 am

There is quite a lot of play (rotational) in my S2 gear selector arm, on investigation there was a fair bit of play between the pawls and the selector sliding dog. I have bought new BGM pawls, these are a better fit in the selector fork but will only go so far into the channel on the sliding dog. The channel on the sliding dog seems have a slight taper at the bottom which stops the pawl fully fitting into the channel. This seems a bit odd to me as I would have expected any wear to have increased the channel width and the new pawls would be a sloppy fit. Is this normal ?
I am thinking of putting a small taper on the bottom of the pawls or would I be better of getting different pawls (casa ?) or a new sliding dog ?. If so which one ?
Cheers
srx600

Re: Selectors pawls

Postby Storkfoot » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:31 am

I am not familiar with bgm pawls but are they they any different to the ones you took out, other than maybe being a fraction thicker (filling more of the width of the sliding dog channel)?

From your description, it seems the pawls may be too big ie deep and pushing on the bottom of the sliding dog channel. Is that right?

You don’t want the pawls touching the bottom of the sliding dog channel. They should “float” a millimetre, or so, over the channel. That is my understanding but I stand to be corrected. I would suspect the pawls are “sacrificial” and that they should wear out before the sliding dog. Are the parts in your engine largely original Innocenti or Serveta?

Sliding dogs usually need replacing when the lugs that engage with the gearbox are visibly worn out. In my experience, I wouldn’t buy another Indian sliding dog, even a SIL one. Others have the opposite opinion.
Storkfoot

Postby hullygully » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:31 pm

I got some pawls from AF's & they wouldn't fit either, too wide, changed for others & perfect fit
you could file them down a smidgen :?
hullygully

Postby Nigel. S » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:19 pm

I have just fitted the same pawls and had to take a little bit off them. A tiny bit at a time and kept rechecking until I could push the pawl around the slot freely but with a snug fit.
Nigel. S

Postby ULC Soulagent » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:07 pm

I just use MB oversize pawls which works a treat with the added advantage of not using the tiny circlips too keep them in place. Only disadvantage is ya have to drill out the wishbone. 8-)
ULC Soulagent

Postby srx600 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:32 pm

Thanks for the responses. I took a picture of the channel in the sliding and it looks like someone has already been in there wiith a file. No idea o it's history by it doesn't look to be of the highest quality machining
srx600

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:57 am

Check the gear selector especially if it is aftermarket and you don’t know the history of the engine. Is it warped? Is it forcing the pawls too close together?
Storkfoot

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3