LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Rear brake pedal spring compression

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Rear brake pedal spring compression

Postby Westpole » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:50 pm

Hi everyone. Can anyone help me with a tip/hack/ instruction on how you compress a new rear brake pedal spring so that the lever can seat sufficiently deep enough on the shaft to enable circlip etc?? I read somewhere that new springs are notorious but that by compressing the spring it will allow the pedal lever to be tapped onto the shaft. For the life of me I have tried with a small pair of stilsons but it has no impact on compression. I am either too weak or missing the point (maybe both!). Has any one else encountered this ? Any help greatly appreciated.
Westpole

Re: Rear brake pedal spring compression

Postby Cgt75b » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:24 pm

The spring goes around the pin?
Cgt75b

Postby Westpole » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:30 pm

It finally worked! I am not suggesting that this is the correct way to do it but…. All I did in the end was to use the stilsons (or equiv) and clamp down the top of the pedal casting (where the clevis pin goes) and the bottom of the pedal spring. You don’t need too much pressure and the force does indeed “open” the spring so that you can tap the lever fully onto the shaft to fit washer/ circlip etc. all the best.
Westpole

Postby dickie » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:11 pm

Personally, I find swearing at it whilst writhing about without any particular thought process for a couple of hours, works every time.
dickie

Postby Knowledge » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:42 pm

I make a loop out of a cable tie and hook it over end of the spring. I pull on the tie, move it out the way and tap the pedal onto the pivot. I then use the cable tie to pull the hook over the pedal so it does it’s job

I think one of my scooters still has the cable tie one the spring.
Knowledge

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3