LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Fork rebuilding

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Fork rebuilding

Postby JETEX » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Just rebuilt my Series 3 forks. Fitted new nylon spring stops and dropped in the new springs. Checked the spring heights and they were both exactly the same. Fitted the new rubber buffers, then the original fork links and spring rods. Then fitted the other pair of buffers ( the large ones ). Checked the links, and one was higher than the other. Stripped it all down again, re-checked the spring heights - o/k, so I swapped the thin buffers and the spring rods from one side to the other. A lot better now, but one still a couple of mil higher than the other. I'm sure they'll settle with the weight on them. Any thoughts before I fit the forks ?
JETEX

Re: Fork rebuilding

Postby drivera » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:47 pm

Did you measure inside the fork legs to see if the spring stops were both in the same place as that would cause different link heights , if different you need to add a thin shim to the top of one of the springs to bring the links in line , its a right pain but worth it in the end
drivera

Postby peejay » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:51 pm

also you could try removing lower buffers and bolt the hub complete with wheel in position and see if it all squares up ok, you might also be able to operate the brake lever a bit as you push the forks in a forward motion. if this is ok then i think you've proved that everything that matters is ok.
peejay

Postby MK Monty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:00 am

Guys am I reading this wrong but are the stops not just that. With no weight on the front wheel they will stop on the rubbers. On a big bump they will hit the others. Are they not just the limit of travel up and down. Get them in the bike with some weight on them and they should be off the stops. Just a thought.
MK Monty

Postby peejay » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:03 pm

MK Monty wrote:Guys am I reading this wrong but are the stops not just that. With no weight on the front wheel they will stop on the rubbers. On a big bump they will hit the others. Are they not just the limit of travel up and down. Get them in the bike with some weight on them and they should be off the stops. Just a thought.

you are correct Monty, they are just stops. it's more important to see what happens with wheel alignment when under normal load.
peejay

Postby JETEX » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:59 pm

I think I'm just being a little over cautious. All the measurements are spot on. I did put the hub in ( not with the wheel on coz I haven't bought the new tyres yet ! ). The hub sits central, so I'm happy to fit the forks to the frame and double check it after bouncing it up and down a few times.

Monty : the spring stops I was referring to are the nylon ones down inside the fork legs that the springs sit on, not the rubber buffer stops for the links.
JETEX

Postby coaster » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:38 am

This is a coincidence, I've just removed and stripped the forks from LiS which I completely rebuilt a few years ago. The main reason is to fit a ScooRs replica disc brake but I also wanted to investigate the fact that the front wheel leaned to one side whilst on the stand. I don't know how log it had been like it but my mates noticed it a few months ago. Stripped it all down, stops measured the same both sides but one spring was slightly longer than the other so packed it with 2 washers. The links are now sitting level, we'll see what it's like when it's all back together later today.
coaster

Postby JETEX » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:57 pm

Understand where you're coming from Coaster. My springs are new, and were bought from Scooter Restorations. They are exactly the same length and top quality. As I said, I think I'm being a little over cautious.
JETEX

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3