LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

protecting your Lambretta from theft

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

protecting your Lambretta from theft

Postby Bobf » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:29 pm

Hi All I have re-built my 1969 Series 3 Li Special and would like to add some anti-theft features. Not a fan of chains, more a way of fitting a switch or whatever to stop the bike from starting combined with an alarm sound.

Any ideas, comments, or recommendations.

Rob
Bobf

Re: protecting your Lambretta from theft

Postby bookertmgs1 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:16 pm

With respect - the primary objective should be keeping it in the same place rather than stopping it being started.

Once its in a remote location - then the local misguided youths will burn it or ditch it in the local park if they cant ge it started. If its someone who knows about Lambrettas - any switch will be identified and removed fairly quickly.

if you are determined with the hidden switch method it would need to be on one of the wires from the stator to CDI.

welding a loop on the stand or actual frame underneath for a hefty chain would be choice.

If the scooter is parked on its own - 30 seconds to lift scooter into back of a transit. If its with a bunch of other scooetrs - make yours the hardest to shift
bookertmgs1

Postby Solid Air » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:42 am

A big chain, make it difficult, and a tracker for if they do cart it off, at least you'll have an idea of where it is until they strip it down.
Solid Air

Postby bolzenanker » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:52 pm

Banshee type alarm might help, but as others have said, if it's not chained then it's gone in 30 seconds.

Biggest chain you can carry is always my preferred option.
bolzenanker

Postby WOODY » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:07 pm

If it isn,t chained with a big chain then its liable to be just picked and thrown in a van and gone in 10 seconds , not that chains can't be cut but that takes time and the time it takes to steal always reduces the chance of the theft .
WOODY

Postby Bilko » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:17 am

Have to agree with the above comments, make it immovable as possible.

I’ve noticed from YouTube videos that alarms don’t make any difference and the thieves will just carry on with the theft. Having said that, I’d still have one. Fit as many deterrents as possible. Starting with a cover.
Bilko

Postby bike grim » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:48 pm

If it’s at home try a Bisley Poacher Alarm Mine for Trip Wires
bike grim

Postby shawit » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:52 pm

It's obviously not ideal in that it stretches the cables but where I've been forced to leave a scooter overnight outside somewhere I've felt a bit risky I have also taken the back shock off and taken it inside with me. Even if you could cut the chain I can't imagine it'd be very easy to lift the scooter / wheel the scooter away.
shawit

Postby Bobf » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:11 am

Hi to all that answered. Thanks.

So it looks like a chain.

Rob
Bobf

Postby L111amo » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:38 pm

You could also put an apple air tag on it somewhere ( won’t stop theft) but you can then track it, got them in my 3 great bit of kit
L111amo

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3