LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Poor handling

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Poor handling

Postby Wombat67 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:19 pm

Took my GP out for a post winter shakedown and after about a mile it started handling like I had a puncture in the rear tyre (or a loss of tyre pressure), managed to limp to a garage where I ensured both front and rear tyres were at the correct pressure and set off home. Same poor handling occurred! Back home I checked that the hubs, wheels and shock were tightened correctly. The engine mounts appear ok and the engine doesnt wobble in the frame, shock absorber isnt broken or leaking and steering bearings havent got any play. I'm at a loss as to what it could be and would welcome any suggestions. Thanks
Wombat67

Re: Poor handling

Postby Fast n Furious » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:57 am

With the scoot on its stand,jack the rear end so the rear wheel is just off the ground.
Grab the rear tyre firmly and shake every which way to check for play in the bearings. If there is any play, then it could be a loose gearbox endplate or a collapsed bearing. In which case, don't ride it anymore until its fixed.
Fast n Furious

Postby Triffid » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:59 am

Be sure to check that the front axle nuts are tight against the front fork links. I experienced the symptoms you describe and it turned out that the shiny new axle nuts I'd bought weren't machined deep enough, allowing play and therefore the axle to move slightly. I checked all the usual things thinking the handling issue came from the back of the bike whereas it actually originated at the front. I solved it by inserting suitable washers to take up the slack and the handling became acceptable once again. :D
Triffid

Postby MickYork » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:56 am

Process of elimination.....change rear wheel
MickYork

Postby L111amo » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:44 pm

Tyre out of shape ?
L111amo

Postby hullygully » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:28 am

Sh*te Indian non-concentric wheel rims :shock:
hullygully

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:03 pm

Forks loose at headset?
Storkfoot

Postby Scooterslag » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:45 pm

Storkfoot wrote:Forks loose at headset?
+1 Had a really bad handling problem a couple of years ago, did all the usual checks etc with no joy. I discovered it purely by accident when I had to lift the front end up - the three bolts on the headset/fork clamp had worked loose. Once tightened down with new nylock nuts- problem solved. Might be worth a look? cheers Paul
Scooterslag

Postby Storkfoot » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:48 pm

Scooterslag wrote:
Storkfoot wrote:Forks loose at headset?
+1 Had a really bad handling problem a couple of years ago, did all the usual checks etc with no joy. I discovered it purely by accident when I had to lift the front end up - the three bolts on the headset/fork clamp had worked loose. Once tightened down with new nylock nuts- problem solved. Might be worth a look? cheers Paul

Dead easy check too. With the scooter off the stand, push scooter forward with the index finger of your left hand pressing the join between headset bottom and legshields. Activate front brake. If the forks are loose, you’ll feel movement between the headset and legshields.
Storkfoot

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3