LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Crankcase transfer ports too large

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Crankcase transfer ports too large

Postby Mr Dave B » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:24 pm

Hello folks.
Please can someone help.
Will a standard SIL stage 4 200cc barrel, piston and head work on crankcase that has had the transfer ports opened for a 225 TS1 barrel.

Will I need to open the barrel spigot and blend the barrel base transfer area to the crankcase.

Thanks lads.
Mr Dave B

Re: Crankcase transfer ports too large

Postby hullygully » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:14 am

wouldn't harm it too bull nose them in the barrel
hullygully

Postby Adam_Winstone » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:06 pm

You can do but I have a suspicion that it'll make no difference, as per Darrell Taylor's 'waste of time and effort' feature in Scootering.
Adam_Winstone

Postby Knowledge » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:36 pm

I agree Adam.

At the bottom of the transfers the fresh charge has little velocity from the pumping action of the primary compression ratio. It is only when the mixture is actually in the transfer ducts that it obtains some speed and, as importantly, some direction.

In a tuned engine, when things really need to get going, the negative pressure phase of the expansion will do more work than the primary compression anyway and will suck the fresh charge up the transfers regardless of minor obstructions at the base of the barrel.

So don’t worry Dave B.
Knowledge

Postby Mr Dave B » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:55 am

Thank you for your help chaps. Very much appreciated.
Mr Dave B

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3