LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Side Panel Handles

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Side Panel Handles

Postby Littlewheels » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:03 pm

I'm trying to free up the handles on an old pair of side panels but they're stuck fast!

So far I've tried Plus gas, acf 50 & let them soak for a couple of days but no joy. used an adjustable spanner to get more leverage but solid and if i use too much force then they will buckle obviously.

Any help greatly appreciated :?:
Littlewheels

Re: Side Panel Handles

Postby Leotech » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:37 pm

Heat and patience, get it glowing hot then use old oil to quench it, The oil will penetrate eventually, just keep doing it and like you say be very gentle.

Failing that, grind the tubes they are in off and you can make a couple of new tubes quite easy and weld them in, Cut the rusty tubes off the handle mechanism to save them.
Leotech

Postby Littlewheels » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:31 pm

Yes I did consider heat so will try that tomorrow and see if that works. Don't fancy cutting the tubes out! :shock:
Littlewheels

Postby bookertmgs1 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:03 pm

Leotech wrote:Heat and patience, get it glowing hot then use old oil to quench it, The oil will penetrate eventually, just keep doing it and like you say be very gentle.

+ 1

Heat / Oil or Plus gas / Wiggle till you get a fraction of movement / Soak overnight & repeat. They will loosen with time.

I'd recommend Evapo-rust to soak it in if you are willing to invest £20 or so - great stuff
bookertmgs1

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3