LCGB Forums

The ability to post messages is restricted to LCGB members. Any questions contact us at lcgbadmin@googlemail.com

Wiring.....Help please!

Technical help for Series one, two and three Lambrettas. Models include the Li, Li Special, TV, SX, GP, Serveta and API/SIL models

Wiring.....Help please!

Postby Lockman69 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Before I pull the rest of my hair out....

I am wiring up my new LI S3 build, Beedspeed loom,12v, Carello headlight.... Headlight, pilot, speedo bulbs all work as they should, rear light and brake light work also.....But the horn is constantly on when switch touches the housing I've tried a new casa switch and a new horn and a regulator and gone through the wiring a dozen times, but can't get the horn to work correctly.

What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Lockman69

Re: Wiring.....Help please!

Postby grandpa » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi Lockman,
A voltage 6 or 12 volt is supplied via a (usually brown wire from ign switch) to one of the terminals of the horn. A white wire from the other terminal goes up to the horn button
When you press the horn button the white wire is effectively shorted to frame ground completing the cicuit...and the horn sounds. either the white wire or horn switch assembly is being shorted to frame.Remove the white wire from horn and use a multimeter on ohms to check where white wire or horn button has a short (such as a chaffed wire)
Grandpa
grandpa

Postby Lockman69 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Hello grandpa, thanks for your reply..... I've got two switches, doesn't seem to be a bad cable

How/ why would the switch be shorting on the handle bar support any ideas?
Cheers
Lockman69

Postby grandpa » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi Lockman
Does horn sound when you place switch in position but without the holding screws, would indicate the screws are chaffing on cable .Do you have a multi meter to check if white wire from switch is being grounded somewhere . you have voltage one side of horn the other side is shorted via the switch .On a gp its the white wire .Using a meter on ohms put one probe on frame of switch the other on white wire of switch press horn button the meter should now show close to zero ohms
Grandpa
grandpa

Postby Lockman69 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Hello grandpa .... I may have sorted it, it's a scootrs disc support and the switch is a bad fit...It looks like the contacts were getting crushed and making a circuit and keeping the horn on.

If I am wrong, I'll be back lol.....so pls keep an eye for me.

Thanks again for you help

Ride safe

Lockman
Lockman69

Return to Series 1, 2 & 3